Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1st PBC Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice first cook! We're doing a culde-sac garage sale today and I've got 2 shoulders on the Pit for the neighbors afterwards.

Comment

Just a few follow up thoughts on the PBC after about six months of using it on a weekly basis... it's an amazing cooker. I'm more impressed with as time goes on. I bought the PBC because it was designed to run at higher temps than traditional low and slow and allows for faster cook times. Age and health issues just made it a lot less fun babysitting a fire through the night than it used to be...

The PBC allows me to start early in the day for a same day meal on the large heavy cuts. Even with a heavy load in the PBC from start to finish including the rest I need about nine hours... If I'm pushed for time and cut back on the rest, I can serve in eight hours. I've cooked more brisket this summer than I have total in the past ten years. It's just so easy with the PBC... not to mention, I'm finding choice brisket at walmart for less than $3 per pound.

Early on with the PBC I stressed over temps like I used to with other cookers and think I even commented on here that it would be nice to mount a thermometer in the PBC, but I never did. I have a new ET-733 that I used for a while with the PBC... but over time I stopped using a thermometer all together... except for using my thermopop to check the final temps when I pull the meat. I find the PBC so consistent that I know how it's going to cook and don't need to watch it. I light the PBC using a chimney... fifteen minutes then I dump it in... hang the meat and close the lid. I don't look at it... at all... for five hours. At five hours I'll be at 170 degrees IT on the meat, then I go to the grate for about two hours and I'm done. The lid only comes off that one time then I'm done.

It's pretty amazing... it sure has changed the way I cook for the better... I highly recommend the PBC for anyone looking for an easy to use cooker that will perform consistently with excellent results. The quality of meat coming out of my PBC is at least as good as anything else I've ever cooked and often times probably better than the old days.

Whenever i wear out the PBC... I'll order another PBC... I'm set for life!

Comment

great write up, Hondo -- it is awesome that just know how the cooker is always going to react... signs of a true pitmaster, I would say!

Comment

Right on Hondo. Couldn't have said it better. I still chart temps and keep a log of each cook though... Force of habit I guess.

Comment

Thanks so much for the kind words Hondo! You are right on with your comments. We designed the PBC a bit differently than other cookers. It usually takes people some time to trust their cooker. And since we've all been taught to stress over temps, cooking on the PBC seems completely counter intuitive. But that was our goal - make cooking simple and fun so you can spend more time hanging with friends and family. BBQ isn't supposed to be stressful.

Comment

Nice thread Hondo .. I don't own a PBC but I enjoyed your comments. Knowing your cooker, regardless of what type it is, is what makes a real Pit Master.

I once did an 18 hour no peek brisket cook on my BGE... Just to see if I could pull it off.😎 All went well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here