Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third Recipe Experiment With The Turkey Hanger - Tandoori Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Recipe Experiment With The Turkey Hanger - Tandoori Chicken

Tacos al Pastor, Lamb Shawarma, and now Tandoori Chicken have been pretty awesome and easy to do using the turkey hanger on the PBC. I used chicken thighs that marinated in the greek yogurt/spice mixture for two hours and threw it on the pit barrel with some peach wood for 3.5 hours until it reached 160 internal temp. I kept the barrel running at 330 and when internal hit 130, I cracked the lid to crank the temps above 400. Had it over some rice. Only notes are next time maybe pull it at 155 and let it rest and carryover to 160-165.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190525_162232812_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	685535Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190525_163128506_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	685534Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190525_195905513_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	685533Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190525_202334692_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	685532
    Last edited by kill2grill; October 27, 2019, 07:29 PM.

Do you shave off the outer edges as they get done or just bring it all home?

Comment

Bring it all home. The shaving thing has come up and I'm going to lean on others on whether it makes a difference. For convenience and flavor and really the size of it, this is working pretty dang well. Great blend of char against cooked meat.

Comment

Lookin' good.

Comment

Oh. My. Gosh. I'm wanting to copy that method in the worst way, kill2grill , using shish tawook seasonings/yogurt marinade. With some homemade pita, hummus, fatoosh, tabbouli and rice I'm envisioning a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern feast.

You did a great job. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; May 28, 2019, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking that too, kill2grill. Tandoori chicken is usually bright red.

Kathryn

• kill2grill
          kill2grill commented
          Editing a comment
          Bright red? I've seen yellow with some caramelizing. Both seem tied into using saffron or turmeric?

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          @fzdoc - See my comment (#10.1) about the colouring.

kill2grill , Mostly what I have seen and cooked is bright red, although turmeric would certainly give a yellow cast. Hadn't thought of that. Would be pretty tasty.

Here's a photo of Tandoori Chicken in Punjab, India compliments of Wikipedia, the expert in Tandoori Chicken ) (hahahahaha):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chickentandoori.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	361.1 KB
ID:	687252

Kathryn

Comment

• FrostyBrew
          FrostyBrew commented
          Editing a comment
          I always figured the red coloring was from Annatto seeds, but since they're originally from a different part of the world -- probably not 'historically correct'.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I think much of the red came from the Kashmiri Chile Powder they used, kill2grill , which adds color but not a lot of heat. And there was also paprika and small powdered red Indian chiles in the chile masala. Only a tiny bit of turmeric, as I recall.

And uhm, no, they were PhD microbiologists, so set your mind to rest.

K.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang Doc. 🤯 Mind blown. I bet that was spectacular. Microbiologist, of course they were. 😃

You guys, & gals Kathryn, are killin me. I want to partake in the worst way. It’s just what would I do with so much food. 👍👍👍 🕶

Comment

• kill2grill
          kill2grill commented
          Editing a comment
          Freeze part of it? So far it's been great over the top of consume rice with some feta cheese thrown over it. Might try making a omelette and a pizza with it too.

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
        You guys, & gals Kathryn, are killin me. I want to partake in the worst way. It’s just what would I do with so much food. 👍👍👍 🕶
        You could make smaller portions. I used two 10 inch PBC skewers and 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1 lb per skewer) and had it done in an hour in the PBC. Just enough for supper the first night for the two of us and leftovers, again for the two of us, for supper the second night. I posted about it here:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...pbc#post759941

Thanks again, kill2grill for the wonderful idea.

Kathryn

Comment

When I was in the Navy a long time ago we stopped in Morocco. The tandoori chicken was red. It did not seem to be hot but I was a young officer and liked hot things back then(still do) so could be remembering wrong. If your using a PBC I would crank it up as hot as you can get it and place the chicken on the outside of the rebars to imitate the walls of a tandoor.

Here is the tandoori chicken that I have been using that is similar to this for a long time. It is a little more complicated than your normal off the web recipe, but it is there. I had an Indian friend in Grad school give me a recipe similar to this. It does need the double marinades.

https://www.cubesnjuliennes.com/tand...hicken-recipe/
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 23, 2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I thought to be Tandoori Chicken it had to be roasted in the clay pot (a Tandoor)? I've always wondered if the cooking style contributed to the color...

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              No the colouring comes from the Tandoori Masala spice mixture that is part of what it is marinated from, not from the cooker. Always better to make your own Tandoori Masala as a lot of the pre-made ones are full of Red Dye 40. Let the chiles and spices colour the chicken, no need to amp it up with dye. A lot of recipes in the intertubes actually include red food colouring as an ingredient.
              This one is really good.

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              No the tandoor does not contribute to the color as they bake Naan bread in the same ovens. It is all in the spices used.

You are correct Tandoori chicken refers to the cooking vessel but can be simulated by any charcoal grill that can approach 600 degrees or more.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 23, 2019, 03:08 PM.

fzxdoc I find it interesting about the Kishmiri powder, I have some that is everybit as strong as cayenne if not stronger. I have to use it very sparingly for my wife’s "buds".

Comment

I jumped in on the lamb when you first posted and have cooked it several times-- it's outstanding. Can't wait to try the chicken tandoori. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pkadare View Post
                No the colouring comes from the Tandoori Masala spice mixture that is part of what it is marinated from, not from the cooker. Always better to make your own Tandoori Masala as a lot of the pre-made ones are full of Red Dye 40. Let the chiles and spices colour the chicken, no need to amp it up with dye. A lot of recipes in the intertubes actually include red food colouring as an ingredient.
                This one is really good.
                https://www.indianasapplepie.com/blo...why-your-tandoo
                That's the site that kill2grill grill linked us to as well (in Comment #6.1), pkadare . I love that Indian as Apple Pie site.

I get her newsletters and have two of her cookbooks. She used to cook everything, but in the past few years has moved more to vegetarian and vegan cooking.

If you can find one of her spice tiffins for sale (she used to sell them on her site) snag it. It's sturdy and thoughtfully made, and a perfect container for those common spices used when cooking Indian food.

Click image for larger version  Name:	blog_indian-masala-spice-box-397x480.jpg?254.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.0 KB ID:	760406

I found it described here: https://www.indianasapplepie.com/pag...9d7f97cf&_ss=r

They used to carry it at Williams Sonoma. I bought one for myself and each of our two daughters from her website several years ago. I don't think the daughters use theirs (kids are like that), but I love using mine!

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc - Sorry Kathryn, I missed that. Those tiffins look cool, but since I'm the cook here, I made sure that I had adequate spice storage when we did the huge reno a few years go.
                  This is one drawer, I have a matching one on the right side of the oven. :-)
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	spicejars.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	760423

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have the same bottle collection as that only on a rack in my pantry. The drawer idea is really cool, nice addition to your cook area.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow. Cool.

K.

• kill2grill
                    kill2grill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's awesome! I'll post up a pic of the somewhat contained insanity of our spice cupboard. I'd love to have this setup...

Nice pkadare I have mine on pull down racks on the cabinet to the left of the stove. There are a lot of different solutions to storing your spices. Alton Brown seems to like the metal containers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here