Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard Thermometer/Fan Control with Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard Thermometer/Fan Control with Pit Barrel Cooker

It's been a while since I posted anything, but figured this one was worth posting as it took me a while to do the research and implement.

I'll start by saying that I absolutely agree with Noah that the PBC is pretty "set and forget" once you get to know your own situation. If you don't measure temperatures at all but have a consistent lighting method, etc., you will get excellent results.

Nonetheless, when I found myself needing to buy a new thermometer due to my Maverick dying, the Fireboard was intriguing enough that I took the plunge. Primarily, I was interested in the awesome graphs, but as I learned more about it, I also learned that it was an excellent "guru" in that it could control a fan using a feedback loop (with separate purchase of the accessory cable). All I needed was a fan and an adapter.

This took a little research, but ultimately determined that an "XL Grill Dome Adapter" would cover the inlet hole on the PBC:

I then added a Pit Bull Fan (which is their "large" fan):

https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?Cat...2&ProductId=54

Installing the adapter was not too hard. I used the screw from the swing lid of the PBC for the top fixture point. You will need to drill a hole in the adapter plate, too. I found it easiest to start a little smaller and then gradually increase the size with two or three more larger bits. I initially tried a run with just this one screw in place, but the fan was too "heavy", and the adapter plate would swing in a little at the bottom, allowing air to enter other than via the fan (which is death to a feedback system). So, before my second run, I added two more screws in the bottom, first by drilling a hole in the PBC, then marking the plate with a sharpie, removing the plate, and drilling the holes. (I think it would be difficult to drill while still in the PBC, but I do not claim to be an expert at this kind of stuff). You will also notice, in the attached photos, that I "missed" on one of my holes (I drilled it in the PBC too wide for the plate and missed it entirely, so I needed to drill another one closer in). In order to plug the hole, I just put another nut/bolt in it, so it really was no big deal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	-3203345149844142212.jpg Views:	1 Size:	645.0 KB ID:	681567

My first run with the new, much more air-tight system was last Sunday. I did a pork butt. I did my usual lighting method (lighter fluid, but only let it go for 10 minutes before hanging meat, covering, and turning on the Fireboard controller). I set it to 270F.

You can see a graph courtesy of the Fireboard app . Four metrics are graphed: pit temperature, meat temperature, set point, and fan speed. The pit temperature took about 90 minutes to totally zone in on the set point, but after that, it held ridiculously close to it for the duration (which was 12 hours after starting the cook, and even this would have been longer, but I let the Fireboard run out of power accidentally). After literally doing nothing to tend to the PBC for hours, I took the lid off and wrapped the butt around 12:30pm (you can see the dip in PBC temp and also the "meat" temp, while the temp probe was waiting to be reinserted to the wrapped butt). I then took the butt off at 2:30pm and let the coals run on their own.

Click image for larger version  Name:	555132565476320940.jpg Views:	1 Size:	356.2 KB ID:	681566

My thoughts after my "first" run":

1) This can really make the PBC even easier. No more "cracking the lid" every now and then to bring the temperature up a little.
    2) The Fireboard isn't "digital" with the fan, but turns it on for varying percentages. It generally ran very low percentages, and never >40%.
    3) Because the fan ran at lower speeds, I imagine one could get away with a smaller fan than the Pit Bull, which is a larger fan.
    4) On the other hand, I haven't tried chicken or something else that I would want at higher temps, so more to follow.
    5) This control makes me think that I'll be able to use smaller amounts of charcoal on cooks I know will be "shorter", such as ribs, and still keep my temperature.

I hope that someone finds this information helpful. Again, not meant in any way to be a slight on the PBC. I did this simply because I could and I love data and control.
    Last edited by supergas6; May 19, 2019, 01:28 PM.

I modified the intake to be a slider and then mounted the fan through an additional hole with the Weber adapter. Works well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BA5CB354-1F12-4009-A747-FB6F61AE1496.jpeg
Views:	1384
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	681596

Click image for larger version

Name:	9A8F5045-3092-4536-9781-237D5CE45191.jpeg
Views:	1279
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	681595 I can go to stock configuration just by pulling the fan and using a stopper.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Any reason why you preferred the Weber Adapter to the XL Grill Dome Adapter, @Polarbear777?

Kathryn

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I made a port for the fan separate from the intake. Weber adapter is a 1” hole which is easy enough. This was over a year ago. I didn’t really bother to check if anything else would fit
      Plus this gives me the option of vent+fan help at the same time, so I can just use the fan to assist so it runs less often.

supergas6 - very interesting reading, thankyou.

Comment

supergas6 Thanks for sharing. I too got the same adapter. Just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Comment

No slight on the PBC. I have been using a PartyQ ever since I got the PBC. It has made it easier for me and frees up a temp probe for the meat.

Comment

Awesome write up! Thanks for putting this together and it is great to hear from you again!

Sounds like you found a winning combo.

Comment

Fireboard/BBQ Guru are a definite winner. I've adapted all my charcoal cookers to this great combo !!! Just curious, why did you buy the larger fan? The smaller model would have worked just fine, I use it on my 22" WSM all the time with no issues and it's as large as a PBC for sure.

Comment

Troutman, I entered this "project" totally blind. As I mentioned in my post, I think you could get away easily with the small fan. I picked the larger one simply because I knew the Fireboard could run at a percentage lower than 100%, so if it was too large, it wouldn't matter. I guess when I run chicken, which I'll do at a higher temperature, I'll see how it does. I was surprised how large the fan was when it was delivered to me.

So, I think one could use the smaller fan, but I picked the larger one because I knew it would work and at most cost a few extra bucks.

Comment

Does the dome adapter require a drill to add a screw hole?

Comment

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You might have to drill a couple holes. That's not hard to do.
                  You could probably use high temp RTV silicone adhesive instead.
                  I used both. 4 holes in the adapter and PBC to secure with small screws. RTV around the intake hole to make sure it had a good seal.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I drilled 1 hole in it and used the hole in the PBC that secures the lower vent. I placed the XL Grill Dome adapter on the inside, slid into the barrel seam, to secure it. Works just fine. A super tight fit is not really necessary, and I didn't want to bore holes into my PBC for fear of encouraging rust. You will have to slightly bend the adapter to fit the arc of the barrel in the area where it is used so the fit is snug.

Kathryn

• Blylier
                  Blylier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BFlynn - did you use this same BBQGuru pit bull fan? if so, why not use the fan Fireboard makes?

Has anyone successfully added this mod in a way that easily lets them return to stock? fzxdoc ?

Comment

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I added mine, I did some rough measurements.
                  If I have the dome adapter just open, without the fan attached, it's about the same area as the original intake with the cover set to 1/3 open.

So at least for me, if I just don't plug the fan in, it runs like it did pre-mod.

• jpsep
                  jpsep commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks BFlynn !

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Since I used only the one screw, I can remove the adapter and put the vent cover back on and the PBC is back to its original configuration (see my comment in your previous post). Haven't had the need to do that yet, though... works OK with the adapter's hole if I choose to run the PBC without a fan. I do let the initial burn go for 4 or 5 minutes longer to get a good light to the basket's coals, just in case. I normally have my vent cover set at 5/8.

Kathryn

Great write up! It takes me one step closer to pulling the trigger on it.

Comment

Just pulled the trigger myself! I have an upcoming cook for my daughter's birthday and i'm smoking an expensive brisket overnight...it's imperative I control the temp while I'm sleeping so I don't over or undercook.

Comment

• BFlynn
                    BFlynn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You won't be sorry

BFlynn fzxdoc this is probably a stupid question - the pit viper fan has the power cord attached but no AC or DC plug - is it powered by the Fireboard? Haven't received the Fireboard yet. Also - looks like I need to drill a hole into the XL dome adapter, is that what you did?
                  Last edited by jpsep; October 2, 2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• BFlynn
                    BFlynn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The fan will be powered by the fireboard. I have the Fireboard Drive - so it just plugs right in.

I mounted my adapter from the outside of the PBC. Drilled a small hole in each corner. Sealed the inside with a high temp RTV sealer. That's probably not necessary.

Yep saw in your pic. Thanks BFlynn!

Comment

I’m already annoyed with this thing. After it charged the screen was all scrambled. I blindly fumbled through power cycling. Can’t be found via Bluetooth so I tried resetting. Now it’s stuck.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• BFlynn
                      BFlynn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'd give them a call. They had really good support when I had a probe on the fritz

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wish I could "Like" BFlynn 's comment but that option isn't available at the moment.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here