Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cremated Beef Short Ribs = Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cremated Beef Short Ribs = Chili

This was just my second cook on the PBC. Warning: this is primarily a story about what not to do! I started with 4.5 lbs of Choice beef boneless short ribs, about 10 strips 3/4 to 1" thick. I trimmed them up, and used the PBC Beef & Game rub just before hanging. I put the hooks through the width of the strips, two strips on some hooks.

Looking at my log, it's obvious I got a poor light: the peak temperature initially was just 329 and then it started falling fast. At 30 minutes I cracked the lid and got it back up to 360. It then fell back to reasonable, if somewhat low, levels. After about 2:15 I checked the meat with a probe thermometer. It was hard to get consistent readings, some points were 190, others 160, but there seemed to be a good bark developing. I probably should have stopped here, at least tasted a piece and wrapped if necessary. A half hour later, some of the meat measured 176 deg, so I continued the cook. Click image for larger version

Name:	Cremated Short Ribs.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	65445 After 3.5 hours, I wrapped the strips and put them on the grate until I got 200 deg in some parts at least. I took the meat out after 4 hours. Four hours! What was I thinking? I guess I was thinking that many comments on the short rib page said that you needed high temps to get tender meat. I forgot that MH says he uses this meat for beef stir-fry, a quick sear.

The meat was almost all bark (burned ends), almost like beef jerky (or charcoal). It was very dry and hard. We managed to eat some with a sauce, but it wasn't easy. So what to do?

The good news is that it made some of the best chili I've ever made! I used a recipe similar to the one on this site. The long simmer tenderized and moisturized the meat, and the bark flavored everything. This was a problem cook for sure, proving, if nothing else, that boneless short ribs need to be treated differently than bone-in ribs. But I'm almost tempted to do it again for the chili, but not a 4 hour cook.

How low did the temp dip?
    Sometimes you gotta let the PBC cook at whatever temp it settles at. Unless of course it drops to below 200.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here