Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is your PBC holding up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
    NEWS FLASH! New for 2015. The PBC hasl switched from powder coat to enamel coat. ...

This is a game changer! I have always felt that slow oxidation was the bane of this cookers life. I may have to think about it now.

Okay I thought about it.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 19, 2015, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      You finally ordered one?

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Weber head? It's doubtful lol

Mine just turned a year old. Keep it outside. Has noticeable rust on lid. Was several months before I reread the storage tips, ie, don't get it wet! Then I had a plastic tarp bungied to it until I got one of the official covers for Xmas. It fits pretty snugly and has elastic sewn in the bottom so it tucks underneath the barrel. I'm not to the point where I think I need to clean the inside.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      One other thing to consider before you put the cover on; make sure that there is not moisture on the surface before you cover it. The cover will trap the moisture and speed up the oxidation. But you look like a thinkin' type a man so I'm sure you already knew that.

You flatter me. Haha And fortunately here in CO we have a very dry climate that does help.

Comment

The gunk on the lid can drip down on the food. How do I prevent this? I take a look at the lid during the cook when I'm checking the meat. If it looks like it's getting ready to drip black tar, I wipe it off with a handful of wet paper towels. Doesn't make the lid look clean, but it keeps the tar off the food quite well.

On days you're not cooking you can also do a dry run in the PBC. Lid on, rebar out. It'll run quite hot and will help carbonize the gunk.

I made some killer chuck roast yesterday on the PBC and have some nice pics. You guys remind me if I don't post them tonight.

Comment

Here's a link to the chuck roast cook.

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          OH my!

I got to take a close look at my PBC this afternoon. I've had it since the beginning of August, and it's had quite a bit of use, but not nearly as much as some of the hard-core folks here !

This IS the rainy Pacific NorthWest, and the PBC sits outside on a Trex synthetic deck (nod to the flaming deck post elsewhere today). The deck shows no signs of distress, but I have an inverted aluminum pizza pan that shields most of the area from direct heat. I've been able to touch the horseshoe "legs" while it's cooking, and they are warm, but not hot enough to do any damage.

Anyway, the PBC is showing flakey rust on the outside on about half the diameter of the bottom seam where it curls up and catches water. The rest of the barrel is OK, some surface spots that wiped off. The PBC is under it's own cover when not in use, but gets used in the rain, and it particularly gets wet when it's cooling off in a rainstorm. I've also had condensation issues show up as discovering the whole thing being damp and drippy when the cover is removed. I was hoping that powder-coat would be more durable, perhaps there was some surface-prep issues that didn't let it coat properly. That bottom seam would be tough to get completely clean and dry before the coating process.

I'm planning to use a rust conversion product like Rust-Mort to convert the rust to a hard black covering, then paint with some stove paint or enamel to try to prolong the life of the PBC.

Comment

• BruceB
          BruceB commented
          Editing a comment
          Wasn't the interior bare metal when new? Mine looks OK inside, but I've been using the double-thick foil liner trick for quite a while now, and it keeps it pretty much looking the same.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          The interior is unpainted. PBC says in their directions not to clean the interior... just to scrape off gunk.

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL Guess mine has been black for so long I don't remember.

I'm thinking of selling mine and replacing it with the newer model. They switched to thicker gauge steel and it's Porcelain enamel coated. Priced is now $299
        Mine is still in great shape with minor paint peel on the lid.

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          I've got one on the way=)

The old one is going to the coast. Then I want have to lug it with me every time we head out for the weekend.

I let the heat rip after every cook, get it flaming and everything.
        That keeps thing good inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
          I let the heat rip after every cook, get it flaming and everything...
          That's really all anyone needs to do. Crack the lid and let the fuel burn out at high heat.

Just be careful you have protection under the PBC and don't overheat your flooring.

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Comments with Pics as soon as I get my hands on it.

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            Is there somewhere this info is posted? I don't see anything on their site about it.

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            It's detailed in our PBC article in review section of Amazingribs.com.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

That's really all anyone needs to do. Crack the lid and let the fuel burn out at high heat.

Just be careful you have protection under the PBC and don't overheat your flooring.

I'm sure the PBC folks did tests with flaming. LOL!!!

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            that has got to hurt!! I have a concrete slab

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            that has got to hurt!! I have a concrete slab

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a Grill Pad. They work great.

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
          NEWS FLASH! New for 2015. The PBC has switched from powder coat to enamel coat. Price went up from $289 to $299. The enamel coating should extend the life of the PBC considerably. The coal grate basket is also beefed up.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	waited.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	57820

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here