Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External view of the stall in a Pit Barrel Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External view of the stall in a Pit Barrel Cooker

I can watch the pit temp in my Pit Barrel to determine when the stall, aka evaporative cooling, starts. I was running 279 for almost 4 hours, then BAM!. Down to 262 with 2 pork butts hanging. I cracked the lid, then they got ticked off. They were 164 just minutes ago, now 169 with a 325 pit temp. I rather crack the lid then open the pipes, since I like would some of that moisture to escape.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010100.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	53554
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 18, 2015, 08:40 AM.

Nice Jerod. I always enjoy you're wise insight to PBC cooking. It helps.
    Hey, I've got a question and you be the one I want to ask.
    So I hung a 2.5# flat yesterday. Second try ever at brisket. We don't do smoky cow where I come from, but since moving to Texas.. well you know.
    So I let it go to 203 before wrapping and resting in the cooler because it had no signs of bark formation until 160's and nothing setting until about 185. I found there were areas that cooked much faster than others when probed with the instant read prior to wrapping. Seemed that the upper sections (nearer the lid) cooked quicker perhaps because of juices running down the meat and keeping the end nearest the fire cooled? I was getting 203 in the thicker part and 190ish down low.
    So, the larger thickness parts of my flat were a bit dry and tuff, like they were over cooked, while the end hanging lower was really pretty nice. Flavor was good and man it was purty to look at.
    Question, where do you probe for instant read temps on brisket cooks in the PBC? Any pointers or thoughts on how to really pull it when moist? Could it have been a little lean to go past 190ish? I really appreciate it.
    Have a good day.

Comment

Jerod! Do you ever switch that thing off?!? B&B should just put you on a delivery route!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here