Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SKIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jmott7 it's time to bring out the big dogs. Mix 1/8 teaspoon of baking powder to a teaspoon of salt. Use that to dry brine your bird. Go naked all the way, roast it without adding any rub our oil. Buy are young chicken, 3-4 lbs range

Comment

I have been mixing in baking powder, Ernest. That's why this is killing me. I'm pulling every trick in the book, and I still can't get the skin to crisp. I'm going to get a younger bird this week, and give it one more shot in the PBC. If it doesn't work, I'm going back to the kettle.

I don't really think anything's wrong with my PBC. The lid shuts all the way, and a ding that keeps that from happening is about all that could really be wrong one of these. But for some reason it's not the chicken whisperer yours is.
      Also, following the directions, mine settles at lower than expected temps. I'll probably speak to Noah again in the next week or two and try to figure this out. Meanwhile, I'm trying to keep in mind what Teddy Reader told me when I said it was hard for my guests to enjoy themselves with me swearing and throwing things in the kitchen: "Jordan, this is supposed to be fun."
      Last edited by jmott7; March 1, 2015, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Jordan, perhaps the kettle should be your chicken machine. I think your high humidity PBC is the problem. Run your kettle around 350+, I like to use around 380 average.

Comment

How old is your baking powder?

Comment

I don't know, man. I found it in the pantry.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here