Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey, Semi spatched!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey, Semi spatched!

I was looking to combine the cooking / results of a spatchcocked turkey on the PBC, with the serving look of a classic turkey. I experimented with an idea I had for a 'semispatch'. I basically cut away at the spine, leaving only a short length around the hips to hold the bird together.

My intent was to allow as much airflow through the cavity as possible, a la spatch, while keeping the shape. I hung the bird by putting the hooks in under the armpit (my preferred technique, as it doesn't mark the breast).

This was an all natural, fresh, 14lb unbrined turkey. I did not inject. It cooked far faster than I expected, taking a little over an hour and a half. The majority of the cook the the PBC was running at 280.

Adding a few more cook details: Kingsford Blue, lit using the lighter fluid method. 15 minutes to heat up, before bird added. Lid was cracked to hit initial temperature of 390, then lid seated for the remainder of the cook. Majority of cook was north of 275, although temp dropped to 260 after about 1.5 hours. At that point, breast was registering 155, so I was planning to lift the temp back up above 325 to crisp the skin anyway. I lifted it back to 360, reseated lid and let it fall back. It only took another 15 minutes to get to 160 internal. I pulled it off about then.

The bird airdried in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking, was rubbed with butter then some general purpose seasoning prior to cooking.

The trimming of the spine (This was FAR easier than fully spatchcocking):

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141130_093453.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	36192

finished Turkey. Other than the back legs looking like the USS Enterprise it worked for producing a very edible turkey, and one that looks about right for serving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141130_162800.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	36194

Hope that helps / provides some ideas. Sorry there were no 'glamour' shots with it in table presentation!

Cheers!

Matt
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mtford72; December 1, 2014, 01:46 PM.

Looks great, that thing did cook fast!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here