Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to pull short ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to pull short ribs?

I've got some short ribs in the PBC right now and I just realized that I'm not sure how to tell when they are done. Advice?

Where's Ernest??

Comment

My gosh, they look good and smell even better....Currently at ~175 degrees F, been on for about 2.5 hours so far.

Comment

I think I'm going to pull them at the magically 203 mark. Nothing like cooking on the pit when it is below freezing outside! Brrrr......

Comment

I took mine to 203 and they were good and a lot of bark, but very dry. I will spritz next time or wrap for a while.

Comment

Field report; Pulled at 203, sliced a rib for each family member. Looked and smelled incredible. Juicy and the taste was excellent however they were on the chewy side. I liked the flavor of the beef ribs better but I prefer the consistency of the pork ribs. I may have to give some beef back ribs a chance some day but I don't think I'll do another rack of beef short ribs again. Unfortunately, I still have half of them left over and I need to figure out what to make them into. Any ideas?

Comment

• HC in SC
              HC in SC commented
              Editing a comment
              Idea #1: Boil down what you have left in a stock pot, then pull the beef and discard the bone. Cook up a good meripoix add it and the pulled beef back to the stock and add whatever vegetables that you have on hand. Spice it up with whatever floats your boat - even an OTS stew flavoring. Serve over rice. Freeze leftovers for another cold, crappy day. Idea #2: if you have enough beef, cut it off the bone, chop well and make a Shepherd's Pie.

Hey SRA - here is what I wrote on my experience with the short ribs. They are going to be slightly chewy, but not wildly dissimilar to brisket. Personally, they are my favorite. Have another crack at them! Note - the membranes are impossibly thick, they just have to be tossed away post cooking.

Good luck!

Matt

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...rt-ribs-on-pbc

Comment

Originally posted by mtford72 View Post
              Hey SRA - here is what I wrote on my experience with the short ribs. They are going to be slightly chewy, but not wildly dissimilar to brisket. Personally, they are my favorite. Have another crack at them! Note - the membranes are impossibly thick, they just have to be tossed away post cooking.

Good luck!

Matt

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...rt-ribs-on-pbc

Thanks, great write up. Mine turned out juicy and they tasted wonderful. In all honesty, I loved 'em but they were a little chewy for my liking and the better half couldn't stop telling me how fatty they were which deflated the whole proposition. If I was with a bunch of guys drinking beer and watching the game they probably would have been completely consumed in a heart beat. So I may give them another shot in the right circumstances....I.E. wife is not around. :-)

I did happen to wonder to myself if cooking them even longer would have made them better or worse, or maybe if I had wrapped them and placed them in a false cambro for a few hours if that would have made them less chewy.

I have to admit, there was something special about grabbing one of those bones and chomping down into the meat that just felt awesome.

Comment

My wife will quite happily walk away from any sort of rib, so I have to pick my audience carefully!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here