Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Chicken at 410°F Pit Temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Chicken at 410°F Pit Temp

There has been some talk here and there on the Pit of the advantages of smoking a chicken at 400°F to 460°F. I've always followed Meathead's advice that chicken is juicy and crispy smoked at 325°F to 350°F, but I wanted to try it at higher temperatures in my PBC.

I had read that charcoal smokers can't sustain those 400°+ temps throughout the cook like kamado cookers can, so I wanted to test it in my PBC.

Last night I did my family's favorite PBC Cook, chicken and sausages. Chicken dry brined, uncovered, overnight in the fridge. Dry brine was PBC's AP Rub. I rub the chicken muscles under the skin with AP Rub and then sprinkle a mixture of 2tsp AP rub:1tsp baking powder on the skin to help dry the skin.

Fired up the PBC with a full load of Kingsford Professional, which burns hotter and faster. I only use it for chicken cooks because it burns down pretty quickly, compared to KBB. I did the 15-10-10 PBC lighting procedure, using a Char Broil Weekender "compact" chimney , (I like that chimney because it gets the topmost coals ashed in 15 minutes and it fits my PBC). By the time I added the chickens, the PBC was nearing 490°F.

The twist this time was that I followed a recommendation here by a PBC user to use a thin stainless steel rod (purchased at Lowe's) instead of the PBC rebar. This allows for even more air flow. I placed it diagonally in the rebar holes like I do for all my one-chicken-6-sausage cooks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Skinny Rebar for Chicken Cooks.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	340678

The chicken was a 6lb roaster, and the split halves, with backbone, breastbone, and wishbone removed were 2.5 lbs each. I always remove those bones to make the removal and slicing of the breast meat easier at the end of the cook.

The sausages were both hot and mild Italian sausages from Fresh Market.

The average PBC temp was 410°F and the chicken took 1hr 10 min to cook to 160°F breast temperature. I took the sausages out at 180°F at 40 minutes and broiled them for 3 minutes per side in the broiler to remove tan lines. Here's a link to the sausage basket I modified to hang in the PBC.

The results of the cook:

The chicken was the usual excellent Winner Winner Chicken Dinner on the PBC fare. It didn't cook much faster than chickens I typically cook at 325-350°F. It was juicy and tender with nice crispy skin all over.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PBC 410deg Chicken 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	340679
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PBC 410deg Chicken 3 sausages.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	340680

Click image for larger version  Name:	PBC 410deg Chicken 6 whole chicken.jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	340681

Click image for larger version  Name:	PBC 410deg Chicken 5 chicken breast.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.3 KB ID:	340682

In summary, while I liked smoking the chicken at 410°F average temp on the PBC because I liked the challenge to see if it could be done, I don't see much of a difference in taste, texture, tenderness, and moistness as those chickens smoked on the PBC at 325°F-350°F. Just as delicious.

In the interests of research (and to my family's delight), one of these days, I'm going to repeat this experiment with a full load of chickens and sausages (3 chickens and 18 sausages). That's always my ultimate test for the PBC's ability to maintain temperature. The PBC does not perform as well, temperaturewise, when loaded with chickens and sausages, as opposed to this single chicken/6 sausage cook, so I'm curious to see how it does with two skinny stainles steel rods placed conventionally in the rebar holes instead of on the diagonal as in this cook.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 24, 2017, 11:46 AM.

VERY interesting, even for a non-PBCer. Curious why it didn't cook much faster.

Comment

Actually it did cook faster, richinlbrg but not much faster--maybe 10-15 min faster. It was a large chicken (2.5 lbs per half with backbone, breastbone, and wishbone removed). I compared it with other chubby chicken cooks I've done. Maybe the smaller fryer chickens that I often use would heat through quicker at the higher temperatures.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; July 2, 2017, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• (Bluecat)
        (Bluecat) commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc, Just seeking clarity: Did you use a single stainless steel rod, diagonally, and no PBC rebar at all, leaving 2 rebar holes open? I'm having trouble visualizing your setup. And congrats on beautiful results.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, (Bluecat) , exactly as you envision it. For chicken cooks that fit on one rebar, I always put the rebar on the diagonal, leaving 2 holes open. Diagonal gives a bit more space for hanging. But this time I switched out the rebar for the thin SS rod for even more air flow to encourage higher temps.
        Last edited by fzxdoc; July 1, 2017, 11:26 AM.

Thanks for the review Doc!

Comment

Nice experiment. Great results, even if it doesn't change your ultimate method!

Comment

Great looking cook, Kathryn ... and even better information! What size SS rods did you buy?

Mike

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            3/16 inch, Mike.
            K.

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!

Great info Kathryn.

Comment

Thanks for this thread, fzxdoc. Your stuff is always interesting and helpful.

Comment

The furthering of the PBC master. Where would we be without you. You try stuff I would never think of. Good looking cook!

Comment

As usual fzxdoc you rock the PBC. Thanks for all your great info, my PBC experience is so much better due to you sharing your techniques. It is always appreciated.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the 'attagirl compliments on my cook. It's a good feeling to share with a community that has shared so much with me.

Kathryn

Comment

Huh.

A thinner rod is simple/brilliant. I'll have to get a couple and see what temp changes I get on the PBC. This post also reminds me I need to get (and modify) some sausage baskets. Thanks again, Doc!

S

Comment

Thanks for the info fzxdoc ! I pick up more good tips and tricks from you! I've used the diagonal rebar setup every time I've done poultry because you can get stuff right in the middle of the barrel. Especially good for whole turkeys. One of these days I swear I'm gonna grab some sausages and do them up with the chicken.. Sounds so yummy!!

Comment

The chicken looks VERY good!!
                        BUT it is the sausage that just gets me every time. I don't believe anything better than sausage has ever been discovered for smoking and grilling.
                        That sausage looks SUPERB.

Comment

PBC rebar are1/2 inch. Lowe's sells 3/8 rebar in concrete isle. They have 3 footers or you can buy a 10 footer and cut it down. Metal blade on any skill saw will do. I do it all the time for my concrete footwork business. Wear safety glasses!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here