Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Turkey 2, got it right this time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have spatchcocked 1 turkey so far and you guys are right the thing was murder to flatten out once you cut the backbone out of it, I had to put all of my weight into it and still only got it to flatten a little bit. Thanks for the tip about cutting the breast to help with that. I plan on trying to smoke a turkey in the next few days on my new Lang smoker, I can't wait to see how it turns out. I tried my first slab of ribs on it 2 days ago and they turned out awesome.

Comment

Great write up for Turkey Day. Many thanks! Has anyone tried PBC's new turkey hangers instead of hooks?

Comment

How big was your turkey? My turkey hanger from PBC Co. Is on the way....

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          This one was 14.5, the one this week was 16 and took right at 3 hours.

• JPP
          JPP commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm planning on using KB with a few chunks of applewood for this... don't want too heavy a hand in the smoke ...

I have a question. I'm having a tough time seeing how a spatchcocked turkey will fit in the pit barrel. I'm getting ready to do my first turkey on Thursday. Does anybody have any pictures of one on the grate. I'm just afraid to flatten it and find out it doesn't fit. Thank you for any help.

Comment

• Flavorsavor
          Flavorsavor commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sorry not to have taken pics, but I spatchcocked and hung a 16 lb turkey in my pit barrel this past weekend. Breast side facing the center, with one rebar, it fit snug. Legs were several inches above the coals, about a cm between the side of the barrel and the legs. If you could use a rebar diagonally i'm sure there would be gobs of room. Cooked right at 2 hours to 160 in the breast, temps running on average around 350, starting and ending closer to 400. Turned out beautifully.

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          I hang them, not sure a big one would fit on the grate either, but you can hang 2.

I hung and cooked my 13lb turkey with 1 re-bar ran diagonally, it fit perfectly!

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I spatchcocked my 13.5lb bird last night and got it salted. I'm hoping to use the grate but if not I'm not against hanging it. I do have an idea I'm going to try to do soon. I did the math and if I use two 3/8 diameter rods it works out to be the the same as running just one of the 1/2 bars. Also if you use 7/16 bars it works out to be the same as running one 1/2 bar and having one hole blocked off. The reason behind this is because I hate losing the capacity when having to run with out a bar in.

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            This is why I drilled 2 holes in mine, I can run with both poles like they are out or of course plug them. I get to 400 with poles out and holes unblocked.

I have a question. I'm about to pull this bird out and it's really windy. Well it looks like there is ash all over it. Should I just wipe it off?

Comment

In case if anybody was wondering here is the results. 2.5 hrs cook time, I cooked it on the grate, dry brined for 48hrs., and my barrel temp stay a steady 345-355 for the whole cook. I was running with one bar and had to keep the lid cracked the whole cook. I contribute having to leave the lid cracked to I was using an older bag of charcoal and it was 50 degs out with 30 mph steady winds with gusts over 50 mph. Looking back now I should have just removed the other rebar. I did get a lot of ash on the bird from having the lid cracked and the wind. I just wiped the bird down before I started carving it up. The juiciest turkey I have ever had. The wife enjoyed it, she said next one to use a little less rub. I used the Simon & Garfunkel paste and applied it under the skin.

Comment

Nice looking turkey, KARB2014 . I usually run the PBC with one rebar pulled when I do chickens or turkeys, if I'm only doing 2 chickens or 1 turkey. That way I hardly have to crack the lid to keep the temp up.

Last Thanksgiving I made a roast turkey in the oven and another turkey on the PBC, rubbed down on the skin and under the skin with All Purpose rub. That PBC turkey was the hit of the day. You may want to try your next turkey with the All Purpose rub just to compare. We prefer the AP rub to the Simon&Garfunkel.

Kathryn

Comment

• KARB2014
                KARB2014 commented
                Editing a comment
                Also when you use the AP rub do you still dry brine to get the skin to crisp?

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                The way I do turkeys, KARB2014, the AP rub is the dry brine, because it has so much salt in it. Here's my turkey prep method, stepwise:

1. Start with a fresh turkey or one that is completely thawed. 24-36 hours before, oil and rub the meat (breast, thighs, legs and the accessible portion of the back) under the skin with vegetable oil and PBC All Purpose rub. Don't use olive oil because it congeals at refrigerator temps. Use about 2 Tablespoons of AP Rub and just enough oil to make it work. Put the oil on first then sprinkle the rub on, then rub it all in.

2. Lightly sprinkle the skin with the PBC AP rub mixed with (aluminum free) baking powder. Use 1 Tablespoon PB AP rub combined with ½ Tablespoon Aluminum-free baking powder . Don't oil on the skin at this time, since you want it to dry. Let the turkey sit, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours to let the skin dry out.

3. Just before loading onto the PBC, inject the breasts, legs, and thighs with melted butter.
                Note: the bird is very cold and the butter gets hard and will not come out of the injector unless it is relatively warm going in. So the butter has to be warmer than room temp but not hot to the touch in order to keep the injector from clogging.

4. Rub the skin with oil, and sprinkle on a little more PBC AP rub (or just some sweet paprika if you've already used a lot of rub and think there's enough salt). Hook Mr. Turkey under the armpits into the back, and hang him in the PBC.

HTH,
                Kathryn

P.S. My last 14 lb spatchcocked turkey, hung from one rebar, was done in 1.5 hours with an ave PBC temp of 330 degF. I put little foil booties on him to keep his tootsies from burning. Also I added 4 oz of applewood to the cold coals and then poured the hot ones over them in the PBC lighting process.
                Last edited by fzxdoc; November 13, 2015, 03:10 PM.

• KARB2014
                KARB2014 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for the tips fzxdoc, much appreciated.

FYI I just saw that the PBC makers have created a special turkey hanging hook

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm thinking it won't work with spatchcocked turkeys, but I'm going to give it a try. I ordered 2 of the turkey hangers and they were delivered last week. Time to recruit a turkey and do some turkey hanger research!

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here