Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure why it is too hammy unless it's something with the rub, I think MH said the only thing that should do that is too much liquid or salt. Only hammy problem I have had was from trying to reheat after sitting out a long time.

Like smarkley said, I used to avoid lighter fluid as it always seemed to get into everything, but that was because I was doing it wrong. In those days you put a bunch on and let it soak into the coals, that is what the problem was, put on a lot of it and don't let it sit, light it up right away. I have done this probably a dozen times and have never tasted the fluid.

Comment

I was sitting watching the packer game and I remembered that I rubbed my shoulder with olive oil first. Could that have made it hammy tasting?

Comment

Originally posted by Clarkgriswald View Post
        I was sitting watching the packer game and I remembered that I rubbed my shoulder with olive oil first. Could that have made it hammy tasting?
        No. My guess it it was just the amount of salt and the type & level of smoke you used. My guess, that is. There's been a couple instances of folks asking why they sometimes get a ham taste. Was the butt you used 'enhanced' or injected with a brine solution at the plant, as stated on the label?

Comment

• Clarkgriswald
          Clarkgriswald commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok. Nothing was indicated on the label about any injection or anything. For smoke I only used charcoal. Must have been the rub I used I guess. That's too bad because I really like the taste of the Salt Lick rub.

What we have to look at is how they prepare the traditional storebought ham to give it that cured salty slightly smokey taste we all recognize. If we imitate this at home, even accidentally, we can end up with hammy tasting pork instead of smoked pork goodness that we're aiming for. We know they don't smoke hams over logs, the smoke flavor is very mild, almost not there. We know the salt level is very high. We know ham is usually not pullable, shreddable, but more firm and sliceable.

I personally haven't had it happen (yet). I dry brine my butts according to the generally accepted method, then smoke my pork quite heavily with wood. I like apple, peach, or apricot on pork. Normally I use apple. Perhaps your ever so lightly smoke flavor from using only charcoal added to the ham vibe?

Next time try this:

Cut your butt(s) into smaller 3-4 lb chunks. Dry brine according to the recommendations here, if your commercial rub contains salt (which it likely does since it's in their best interests on many levels -- salt is cheap for them and makes up the majority of commercial rubs) then use the rub as the dry brine. Smoke it with a LOT of wood chunks. Use wood for at least the first 4 hours (I use wood the whole cook up until I crutch). Take it to 200ish, whether you crutch or not, then wrap it and THEN hold it 1-4 hours in a faux cambro. After all this, pull it and I can all but guarantee it will not taste like ham.

Comment

• Clarkgriswald
          Clarkgriswald commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info Huskee. I just got some apple chunks in today so I am going to do a small shoulder with the apple wood and charcoal. I don't feel very confident just using solely wood this early in my bbq life. The salt lick rub is very salty. One teaspoon is 700mg! Wow. You think using that as a brine would still be to salty resulting in hammy taste.

Clark, I forgot you're using a PBC.... Most PBCers only use charcoal and report great results. Take my above advice with a grain of salt (pun intended) regarding the wood use. Some do report good results using some wood in their PBCs too. Did you hang the meat with direct contact with the smoke from the drippings hitting the charcoal? My next guess is yes, it could be the rub you used.

Try dry brining w/ salt separately, and using Memphis dust, or I have a rub recipe that works great on pork shoulders and ribs too which is different still than MD.

Comment

• Clarkgriswald
          Clarkgriswald commented
          Editing a comment
          I hung the meat above the charcoal but it wasn't really close to the charcoal. This time I am going to use a couple chunks of apple wood with a different rub. I am also going to try the dry brine.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here