Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very, very nice work! Chuck is so good when on the "Q," so to speak. I actually prefer chuck to brisket due to its "silky" texture. So does my wife, which means(of course) that I do chuck more than brisket! lol

Comment

Thanks John, smarkley, Deuce and Strat50 for the compliments on my chuck roast cook. Those leftovers tonight were great as well. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at how well we liked it, since my idea of good chuck roast was always cubed in a stew of some sort. Until now that is. Smoking that chuck roast on the PBC was a game changer. I'll definitely be doing that again.

Kathryn

Comment

As a followup: after two nights of chuck roast heaven as Philly cheese steak sammies, I froze the rest of the pulled beef, about 2.5 lbs. As you may recall, this was my first ever attempt at smoking a chucky in the PBC.

Three days ago I put the beef in the fridge to thaw and last night I made chili with it, adding the pulled beef right at the end to let it heat up just before serving. That chili was some of the best I've ever made. The flavor of that smoked beef in the spicy mixture was OoTW. (Out of This World) My DH took a couple of servings over to an elderly friend who loves spicy food and the friend called later to ask me to save him another serving for tonight!

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds really good! I keep wanting to make smoked beef chili but I am forgetful.

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Fz i will have to try that smoked chucky idea for chili contest this year, I used smoked pulled pork to add to the hamburg as well as smoking the onions peppers and garlic for a chili contest i won at work last year.
          The pork was a little to mushy and got lost but flavor was awesome I think the chucky texture will be perfect.
          Thanks, Dean

I got a PBC for Christmas and so far I have only smoked a tri-tip for new years eve. This thread got me inspired for my next cook which will be tomorrow. I'm throwing a chuck roast on my PBC tomorrow with a couple racks of Baby backs... can't wait to try it.

I was hoping to pick up a Weber 18.5 replacement grate to cut up so I could hang the ribs and rest the chuck, but no one in town had any. Maybe I will just cut up the PBC grate and get a replacement for that shortly. BTW, I heard that PBC is working on a replacement grate where both sides will fold over as needed.

Comment

Have fun with that cook today, OGMrWhite. Like you, I had only owned my PBC for a short while before I saw Jerod's version of the Great Grate and I just had to have one. Fortunately my local Ace Hardware had the grate for the 18.5 Weber with the folding edges. It had handles, which I liked, and there were fewer bars to cut once one of the flip edges was removed. I've used it a lot. It's great for hanging a couple of chickens while a bacon-covered meatloaf sits on the grate portion too. The possibilities are endless!

Let us know how your chucky/ribs cook turns out!

Huskee, you're going to love that chili when you get around to fixing it. I know lots of folks here add leftover smoked brisket to their chili too, which I have yet to try. The juicy silky texture of this pulled beef from the chucky was really great in that spicy chili on a cold winter's night. My DH says that I have his permission to make that again--and soon!

Kathryn

Comment

I haven't made a pulled chuck in a while. This thread has me thinking about it though. It's just so expensive nowadays. May as well buy steak.

Comment

The cook went off without a hitch. I had to crack the lid only a couple of times, overall I'm very impressed with the PBC.
              I forgot to take pics... but the ribs were great, just a little on the dry side, except the half rack we had two days later simmered in a vacuum bag (my wife says I need to cook them babies ahead of time, and we can simmer for guests).

The chuck seemed a bit tough when I went to pull it, and the BBBR was a little heavy on the pepper, but I vacuumed this up as well (it was intended for a picnic with my parents the next day). I added a little extra beef broth (as well as the crutch drippings) when I vacuumed the bag. Simmered it the next day and served on toasted buns with a homemade garlic/fox point (from penzeys) yogurt sauce.. mmmm-mmmm. In hindsight I should have dressed up a slaw with that yogurt sauce so there was more crunch.

Comment

Chuck is awesome. I've done a couple in the PBC to start out, and get some BBQ flavor. But browning in a skillet, then throwing in the oven covered with carrots and potatoes for a "low and slow" all nighter, yields awesome results.

Comment

Well, I decided to try another Chukie on the Pit tonight. I started to hang it with two hooks and I went to peek on it about 30 minutes into the cook and I got scared. It was stretching and starting to pull apart already. I was worried that it might fall off the hooks into the coals so I quickly exchanged the hooks for the grill grate. I think I am going to take it to 160, wrap in foil with some apple juice and then take to 203. Depending on the time I will then put in in the cooler wrapped in towels. Or.......I may just let it go all the way to 203 on the grate. Thoughts?!!?

Comment

SRA, I would definitely recommend wrapping that chuckie at 160 or so (double wrap with heavy duty foil). Then think about taking it to 207-209 instead.

The first chuckies I made on the PBC I took to 199-202 and although they were tender, they were not super tender. I had to use Bear Claws to pull the meat.

The second time I made chuckies on the PBC I followed Pit Boss Dave Parrish's excellent advice and took them higher to 207-209. They were amazing--fall apart tender with most of the fat nicely rendered, I just pulled the meat with vinyl gloves on my hands; it was juicy and delicious. No Bear Claws needed for that second cook taken to the higher temp.

Note--the chuckies went into a second stall at 202 and it took 2 more hours (still wrapped) to get to 207-209. I had double wrapped them at about 165 with a little beef broth and put them on the grate until they reached 277-209. When I brought them in I unwrapped them to stop the carryover cooking and double wrapped them again in fresh double foil wraps. Then I placed them in a 150 degree oven for 2 hours before pulling them. They were about the most perfect thing I've made on the PBC.

Kathryn

Comment

Kathryn, I threw another chuckie on the pit today. Hoping to take it to 160 and then wrap until 207+ as you suggested. I just hope I have enough time. The wifey decided today was "talk about everything day" so I got a late start. The good news is that I also have chicken and ribs on and those will be done well before the chuckie so we won't starve. :-)

Comment

Let us know, SRA , how your cook went. With chicken, ribs, AND a chuckie going on, you all are going to have some fine eating ahead of you.

Oh and P.S. we wives need those "talk about everything days" even if it delays the start of a 'Que. I know you must feel better after the conversation. (Just say yes. )

Enjoy that excellent food fest!

Kathryn

Comment

Kathryn, Ribs were wonderful! Chicken is for the wifey later in the week so I am not sure but it always comes out good. The chuckie is wrapped in the cooler. However, I got distracted and didn't pull it until it hit 214. We'll see how it turns out.

And yes, I do feel better......

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here