Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Accessories That Work for the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Accessories That Work for the PBC

Edited to add: Some folks can't see the photos in this post. It's probably because there are too many of them to load properly on some computers. To fix this, I posted each item in separate posts below, so scroll down. The photos seem to come through in those posts.

Also, I haven't tried these three new (to me) accessories yet on my PBC but they look as though they'll work fine. As soon as I give each of them a try, I'll post my findings on this topic as well.

Kathryn

A couple of months ago I wrote a post about the Great Grate, a modification that could be made to a Weber grate that would add versatility to the PBC. You can see that post here.

Here's a photo of the Great Grate in action (thanks, Jerod!):

I made a run to Kitchen & Co and found a few more accessories that work well with the PBC.

1. Big Green Egg Folding Grill Extender for XLarge and Large Big Green Eggs. Cost: $21.99 at Kitchen and Co.

Here's more info from the Amazon site.

I like the way the two sides of the grate flip up to give access to the food underneath:

Next is the Chef's Planet Grill and BBQ Mat. I need this for Jalapeno Poppers among other things. Cost $19.99 at Kitchen & Co. Here's more info on Amazon.

And finally one that needs a little mod (handle-ectomy):

Sausage Basket. $12.99 at Kitchen & Co. Holds 6 sausages. More details on Amazon.com

I want to be able to hang sausages without hooking them. I think if I cut off the handle of this gizmo just below the wooden part it will work just fine. In fact I'm going to get a second one the next time I'm at Kitchen &Co so I can smoke a full dozen sausages. I'll take the wrapper off before I use it.

I think it should work. The bottom-most sausage hangs at about the same level as the baby back ribs I usually hang.

All of these gizmos were less expensive at Kitchen & Co. than at Amazon.com, but then I had to pay for gas to drive an hour to the K&C store to get them. It probably balances out to check out the prices on Amazon using the Amazing Ribs link http://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

and shop around there.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; October 11, 2014, 09:27 AM.

Kathryn, your pics are showing as broken icons to me. Is it this way for anyone else?

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, scroll down--I posted about each one separately because this first post seems to be too photo-laden to display correctly on all computers. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

Kathryn

Nice stuff doc, Great, as always write up. I'm loving that grill mat. I was just thinking of grilling some broccoli besides a basket. I really like that. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
      Kathryn, your pics are showing as broken icons to me. Is it this way for anyone else?
      I can't see them either. :-(

Comment

• cdd315
        cdd315 commented
        Editing a comment
        x 2 .. using Chrome?

The grill extender is similar to the Hovergrill, which I got with my smokenator and love, and the Grill/BBQ mat is like the Frogmats, which can only be used for indirect cooking. Can the BBQ mat withstand direct heat? That would be convenient.

And, yes, photos aren't working (and in my post, they all came out miniature for some reason).

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        The Chef's Planet mat that I show can withstand heat up to 500 degF and cannot be used directly over an open flame or heat source. I have yet to see 500 degF on my PBC at the level of the grate, so I figured this mat was a good option.

Some mats of this sort say clearly not to cut them to fit, so I wanted to find a mat that would neatly fit into the PBC. This one does, although the corners touch the sides of the barrel.

Frogmats can be cut to fit, though. That's what I went looking for but this is what Kitchen&Company had available. This Chef's Planet mat is finished around the edges which is nice (not pokey-edged) so I thought it would be fine.

Burn, is your Hovergrill hinged so half the grate can be lifted up? It's hard to tell from the Amazon photos. I don't know how useful that hinged grate surface is for the PBC, but I'll find out.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; October 11, 2014, 06:49 AM.

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        No the Hovergrill isn't hinged. All that allows access is that it's, I think, 18.5" and I use it on my 22.5" kettle. It also worked well for searing on the kettle - removed the main grate and put it right on the coals

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that info about the Hovergrill, Burn.

Hmmm. All of the photos look fine to me, both on my iPad (Safari) and on my PC (Mozilla). Maybe that first post is too photo-heavy. I'll try posting the accessories separately and see if you all can see the photos.

First up: The Big Green Egg Grill Extender for XLarge and Large Big Green Eggs. $21.99 at Kitchen and Company. Amazon has it as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BGE Grill Extender 3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	25214

Name:	BGE Grill Extender 2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	25215

Name:	BGE Grill Extender.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	25216

This is a lot like the Hovergrill, which I went looking for but Kitchen and Company did not carry.

I don't know if the Hovergrill has the halves articulated so they can flip up, which may/may not be a useful feature. It's useful I guess if you only need half of the added grate shelf and want access to what's underneath.

For me, the price was right and I love carrying stuff home from a store and playing with it the same day.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, guys and gals, let me know how these photos look, and if they're fine, I'll add the others in separate posts.
        Kathryn

• bep35
        bep35 commented
        Editing a comment
        They work. Add the others!

OK, here's the second accessory: Chef's Planet Grill and Barbecue mat.

Name:	Chef's Planet Grill and BBQ Mat 2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	25242

Name:	Chef's Planet Grill and BBQ Mat.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	25243

It can withstand temps up to 500 deg F (260C) and can't be placed directly over a heat source or open flame.

It's a lot like the Frogmat (see on Amazon-- be sure to use Meathead's link to get there: http://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Cost: $19.99 at Kitchen & Company. It's also available on Amazon

The Frogmat can be cut to fit and this Chef's Planet one cannot. but its edges are nicely finished which I like and it just fits into the PBC with the corners touching the edge of the barrel.

It's dishwasher safe.

I'm so going to love using this for veggies and especially for jalapeno poppers.

Kathryn

Comment

I love them frogmats, that dude looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

I would expect nothing less from you doc.

Comment

The third accessory answers the problem that I spoke with Michael Watson about over on the general Pit Barrel Cooker forum: how to smoke sausages on the PBC without them hogging the grate or hook-hanging them (the gravity thing is a concern). This gizmo will work if you saw off (or snip off with wire cutters) the handle just below the wood piece.

Charcoal Companion Sausage Basket: $12.99 at Kitchen&Company. Also available on Amazon (use Meathead's link to get there http://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

In these photos I left the cardboard on just in case I had to return it. Now that I know it will work with the handle sawed down, I can take off the cardboard.

Name:	Sausage Basket 3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	25257

Name:	Sausage Basket 2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	25258

Name:	Sausage Basket 1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	25259

(You might have to tilt your head to see the last two photos. I do on my PC but I don't on my iPad.)

This Sausage Basket also can be adjusted for the thickness of the sausage, so it's good for skinny franks and thicker sausages. I liked that feature.

The next time I go to Kitchen&Company I'm going to pick up another so I can smoke a full dozen sausages at once.

Kathryn
          Attached Files
          Last edited by fzxdoc; October 11, 2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Awesome stuff, Doc... the pics are coming through good now.

Comment

Yay! Glad to hear it was just photo overload on the first post.

I forgot to add a disclaimer: I haven't used any of these accessories yet, but I think they will work fine for my intended purposes. I'll post more info as soon as I have used them. Too bad we're going out to dinner tonight or I'd be down for giving them a try ASAP.

Kathryn

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                heh... no problem. Anyone who just sees these things will immediately see their usefulness too.

For instance, I can REALLY see the usefulness of that sausage/dog holder. That will probably be the thing I shop for first.

Awesome thread Kathryn!

Comment

I see 'em now, GREAT post! Thanks!

Comment

I found something else that works pretty good. The Master Forge 30" Smoker/Kettle Grill Cover #0187619 fits good. I picked it up at Lowe's for about $6.00 just to try it out. Not the highest quality item in the world but it'll keep my PBC out of the elements until I find a better one. It has elastic on the bottom that actually works pretty well. I also saw a comparable one at Home Depot made by Weber after I purchased this one. Like I said, as far as longevity goes it's probably pretty spotty but as an interim fix to keep the rain out it will do the job until something better is located.

Comment

I thought it was time to give an update on the sausage basket that I wrote about in post #9 above. I've smoked a lot of Italian sausages lately and used the Sausage Basket, modified to fit into the PBC.

First of all, here's the unmodified sausage basket (I bought 2 of them):

Name:	Sausage Basket 3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	54348

I asked a friend (bribed with smoked chicken and sausages) to cut off the basket's handle just below the wood portion so I could hang it in my PBC vertically:

Name:	Sausage Basket modified 1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	54349

That way it hangs from the loop on the rebar. Here are two sausage-filled sausage baskets hanging in there with 3 chickens:

Name:	Jan 3rd 3 chickens 12 sausages.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	54350

Worked out really well! Sausages take about half an hour to reach 185 degF which I have determined is a good temp for fatty sausages like hot Italian. The sausage is juicy and the skin pleasantly pops with each bite into the casing.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here