Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I raised my charcoal to reverse sear on my PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I raised my charcoal to reverse sear on my PBC

I found a couple of 3" open shackles in the shed and they hold the coals safely.I used a length of rebar hooked at the end to pick up the hot coals and placed it on the concrete ,slipped the shackles to the coal bin first then at a diagonal on the grates at the ends so it cant tip.pick up both with gloves on and hold grate handles to set back in the PBC.Hope it works for you too.Hank

Thanks Krank, and how did the reverse sear go??

Comment

Now that my daughter showed me how to resize a picture I will post more when I actually do it in about a half hour. as well as how well it seared.

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

Wouldn't have thought the grate would be that strong, I toss mine on the lower grate of my 22.5 and it works about the same. My grate never gets that clean though...

Comment

Great idea, Krankenhank.

Kathryn

Comment

I used my idea tonight ,very hot but I cooked the tri tip to 115 so I didnt have much temp. to work the grill before hitting 135. I plan on using my lift alot more often.now my PBC is a grill up high in the barrel ! two 3" shackles or equivalent.

Comment

Thanks for posting those additional photos, Hank. It must take some guts to lift that basket of red hot coals out of and then back into the PBC, or at least it would for me. With my lack of coordination, there would be burn ointment in my future sooner or later.

Kathryn

Comment

Kathryn,as long as I picked it up in the center and moved smoothly I had no problems. But I see myself making a new two prong hook to assure stability. I think I am going to try making Pizza with the coals up high.I figure once I put the lid on the heat should melt the cheese quickly.here's a pic of the sausages too.Hank

Comment

Brilliant! We want to see pics of how that pizza turns out.

Comment

Do you think you could support the basket better on the rebar and put the grate on top of the rebars? Looks heavy for the grate.

Comment

W.A., I went with the links to the grate to make it a one piece install into the pit.Your idea is worth trying.The grate holds the basket easily, try it! Is there enough room on top of the rods to put a grate and food and the lid?

Comment

Probably hard to position rebars while holding the coal basket. I will try your method, I have those links and I use a hoe to move the hot basket. I was also thinking of putting the basket on top of the rebars and placing a large grate on top of the barrel - need to look at how high up it goes. Clearly you could not use the lid then, but I want to use it to sear anyways. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here