Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs on the Pit Barrell Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs on the Pit Barrell Cooker

Had a great time smoking (2) Baby Backs and (3) Spare Ribs first time on the Pit Barrel Cooker!!

Bought the ribs from a great local butcher but next time I guess I need to tell them to do St Louis Cut because they gave me what seemed like a whole side of the pig.(see pics) I think I did an ok job in trimming them for first time but dropped the ball on smoking the additional meat.
    Salted them overnight. Followed directions for Last Meal Ribs and used Memphis Dust! Fantastic.

Setup cooker at 1/4 for sea level and fired up based on directions with 3/4 full and using chimney but had a little trouble dumping hot coals into barrel using large chimney will use smaller one next time (saw that tip on PBC string).
    Used the Maverick to monitor temp inside.

An hour in had a big downpour and got worried the rain would cause issues with smoker (does rain cause any issues with keeping temperature?) so put up a big lawn umbrella over it, helped with keeping me dry when I needed to check it.

Ribs took around 4 hour to be done. Tasted great.

Really like the PBC very easy to use and the PBC forum is fantastic. Also love this site and learned a tremendous amount on everything BBQ. Thank you all!

Trying pulled pork hopefully this weekend! Can't wait.

Nice! And yes rain absolutely causes temp issues, causes your smoker to "sweat" in effect, which will quickly lower your temps, smart move with the umbrella!

Comment

Wow, cmooretfo, you've got quite the rib feast going on there! It looks like it was a great cook. Congrats!

I've only been caught once in a rainstorm with the PBC unprotected from the elements, and yes, the temps dropped quickly with all that rain beating on the drum.

For subsequent cooks, I moved the PBC under a large roof overhang for protection. As long as the rain wasn't directly hitting the PBC, the smoker temperature was not affected.

Now I've move my PBC to a covered deck area so I'll have no more worries about the weather.

Kathryn

Comment

nice knife work on the trimming, takes patience to trim that nice. good looking ribs

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Cmooretfo! Excellent first post!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here