Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/2 Pans in PBC for Competition Chicken???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    1/2 Pans in PBC for Competition Chicken???

    Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to fit two half pans in a PBC to cook Comp Chicken?

    Half pans seem the best way to go for spacing of the chicken but two don't fit in the PBC side by side. I could stack them I guess.

    Would stacking one on top of the other once I wrap have any effect on temperature between the two pans, so that they both cook evenly?

    eta - clarified the topic...
    Last edited by BKYDBBQ; September 17, 2026, 05:04 PM.

    #2
    It would probably result in a little bit of uneven cooking at the bottom tray would almost act like a heat diffuser of sorts.

    Would something like this help you make better use of the space? https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Glory-W...9QPFTQ5R/?th=1

    Comment


      #3
      fzxdoc

      Comment


        #4
        It’s not real obvious in this photo, but I added a second bolt location on my PBC to accommodate a second rack. I used the standard rack and the hinged rack together when I cooked these ribs:

        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5679.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.47 MB ID:	1886856

        Comment


          #5
          Maybe check to see if there is some disposable aluminum pans that would work for this (not sure what's available). I use 2 alum pans side by side for water pans / drip pans for my offset smoker (these would be too big for the PBC). I'm able to bend them slightly so that they fit... Good luck.

          Comment


            #6
            Sounds like you need a second PBC? Or a PBX? MCS ya know...

            Comment


              #7
              Aside from upgrading to a PBX, to fit them side by side, I am with the others in that I think stacking the pans will result in the bottom pan cooking more than the top pan. You might get around that by restacking them halfway through the expected cook time while wrapped?

              I am sure you plan to turn one pan 90 degrees to the other so that they can stack, so the top pan will get SOME of the direct heat rising from the coals - just not in the central area of the pan.

              That said, while I have not measured the inside diameter of the PBC, I am wondering if some kind of raised grate that rests on the main cooking grate could be used to put an air gap between the upper and lower pans, to make the cook work more evenly.

              Comment


                #8
                I have seen people add a 2nd set of bolts lower than the factory set as TomfromtheSoo mentions. If you don't want drill holes, you should be able to get some metal hooks to hang a 2nd rack below the first.

                If you do that, you can further help the airflow by 1) offsetting and turning one pan 90 degrees and 2) adding some additional space between then by elevating the top pan a bit using foil or bricks or something

                Comment


                  #9
                  I have a PBX but that is being used for ribs. I looked at buying another PBX but the PBC website directs you to an Amazon link and the Amazon link only lists the PBC and PBJ, no PBX. Should have bought two when they were on sale at Academy.

                  I thought about the second grate.

                  Something else I am considering, my ribs are usually done on the PBX just before the chicken goes on so I am thinking I could use the PBX for both. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that sooner.

                  Comment

                  Announcement

                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  0
                  Guest
                  Guest
                  500
                  ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                  7