Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket touches coals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket touches coals

I'm new to the Pitmaster Club. If there are other posts addressing this question I apologize in advance. The brisket I'm using in my PBC is long enough that it touches the coals. Should I separate the flat and point and hang them separately?

Part of the greatness of the PBC is the juices hitting the coals. I would trim the brisket a little more to prevent this and keep the scraps for braising for pot roast, carne guisada, etc.

Comment

• Jbone
      Jbone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!

• Duanessmokedmeats
      Duanessmokedmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Trim it and hang it for a snacky-snack...

Hook it a second time part way down one side, so it hangs on an angle. It will shrink up before too long and you can go back to hanging from the point. At 160 - 170 you will hit the stall, then put your grate in and wrap w/paper or foil n go to probe tender. 190 - 205. Luv me some Brisky! Prob my fav.

Comment

• Jbone
      Jbone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Alan!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Bronco, but that’s what I’d do too….wut he sed…👆👆👆👆

It's fine. I've had multiple occasions where a few inches was laying on the coals. You can't tell it ever happened.

Comment

• Jbone
      Jbone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod, when this happens do you put the point down toward the coals (more fat, more insulation), or flat?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee always flat down. I'm only hanging for about 5.5hrs.

Can’t help you with the -PBC, but welcome to the Pit from the Florida Suncoast.

Comment

• Jbone
      Jbone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!

Welcome to The Pit.
    ​​

Comment

• Jbone
      Jbone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Put it on the grate.

Comment

• Jbone
      Jbone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

For a very large brisket, the flat end is usually pretty thin and will dry out before the rest is finished. I cut that end off, usually it's a couple of inches or more. I set it aside to grind later for a hamburger mix, usually, with some of the brisket fat and some chuck. After that cut is made, the brisket usually fits just fine in the PBC.

If, after cutting that end off and finishing up with the trimming the brisket will still hang too close to the fire, I'll hook the point end of it to both rebars at the start of the cook so it sort of makes an upside-down L shape. As the brisket cooks it will shrink, so then I release one of the hooks so it can hang straight down for the rest of the cook. I always double serial hook briskets.

Some people double serial hook the brisket further down from the point so it just flops over for a while until the brisket shrinks some and then they re-hook with double serial hooks again.

And of course the obvious is to separate the point from the flat right where the point starts, leaving some flat under the point, and smoking the two pieces separately. This makes the most sense, since the flat won't dry out that way, but honestly a lot of people, me included, hate to slice through the flat like that just because a whole chunk of a cooked packer looks so nice when it comes time to slice and serve.

Kathryn

Comment

• Jbone
      Jbone commented
      Editing a comment
      I really appreciate your help.
      Thank you very much!

Hello from NW Portland OR

Comment

• Jbone
      Jbone commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello!

Welcome from the Land of Enchantment - and enjoy that brisket!

Comment

• Jbone
      Jbone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Jbone how did your cook turn out?

Comment

Very good!! Thank you for asking!

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Very good, but no pictures, so did it really happen? LOL (That is a standing joke)
        I am glad it turned out Very well for you.
        Look forward to your future posts.

Ha! Thank you.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        Great come back!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here