Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Dino Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Dino Ribs

Been looking forward to this cook for a while now. Got a Prime three bone short rib plate from Wild Fork. About 5.5 lbs. very nice marbling though big hunk of fat on one end. Not sure if that’s normal or just lock of the draw, but still plenty of meat for my small family.

trimmed some silver skin on top, left back membrane intact, rubbed with a mix of the 1:2 SP mix from last brisket cook with an even amount of Kosmos Texas Beef rub. Didn’t get to dry brine yesterday because toddler didn’t allow it, just a few hours in there. Plan to start cooking at 12 on B&B charcoal (local Ace had a great deal so I’m loaded up ) and hickory chunks.
    Attached Files

Those are gonna be good!

and they look like the rack of Dino ribs Freddy Flinstone orders at the drive in that flips his Porsche

Comment

I buy these from Wild Fork exclusively. In fact I just got a rack a couple days ago. That fat on one side is the usual. Just trim it off. You’re going to love these and be hooked. My favorite type of Q. Yum.

Comment

• bbq_esq
        bbq_esq commented
        Editing a comment
        Price for prime was solid too. Plus I’ve never seen them anywhere else here.

Start it now, it’s easy to rest them until it’s time to eat. It’s a real pain to be waiting on them at 8:00 when you’re hungry.

Comment

• bbq_esq
        bbq_esq commented
        Editing a comment
        As soon as toddler will let me I plan to fire up the barrel

So jealous! I have never cooked these and very much want to. Looking forward to your results!

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Kind of like brisket on a stick….but richer!

Absolutely love these ribs! And I would also get them on asap, because they'll take a good ten hours...

Comment

I love dino ribs, and those look fantastic!!!
        Enjoy your meal.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD View Post
          Absolutely love these ribs! And I would also get them on asap, because they'll take a good ten hours...
          On the PBC??

Comment

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            If they're running the same 250ish I've run 'em at in other cookers, don't see why they would go faster...

I cook them at 275o and they usually take 4-5 hours, sometimes 6.

Comment

To Be continued
            And looking forward to it

Comment

I cook them like a brisket but really enjoy we only get two meals out of it unlike a brisket.

Comment

• bbq_esq
                bbq_esq commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah briskets great but just too much meat for a small family. This could be perfect.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                bbq_esq I've started buying briskets on sale, and cutting some of them down to 3 hunks (point, 2 hunks of flat) and freezing. That gives me three 4# hunks on average, which with shrinkage are about 3 pounds of cooked meat. Definitely manageable for just the wife and me.

So, never got these on the fire yesterday. We had a minor emergency and spent 9 hours sitting in the hospital. I’ll spare you all the details but everything is fine. At least they got a good 24 hour dry brine. Hope to cook today and will update.

Comment

• CHNeal
                CHNeal commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad all is well!

• mrichie1229
                mrichie1229 commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 CHNeal. Glad all is well. Good luck on the cook. Love the dino ribs. Yabba Dabba Doo!

About 3.5 hours in. Looking very good. Probing pretty tender but gonna let it go another hour for better bark. Very excited to dig into these. Will post pics of final product.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Treat this like you would brisket. Temping the meat ought to be upwards of 200F. It should probe like a hot knife through butter.

jfmorris so it’s actually probing like soft butter now but I’m getting temps in low 180s. I think I will let it ride another 30 minutes and see if I can get a temp at 200.

Comment

Finished!

What I liked - incredible flavor, the richness of the meat with the peppery bark is just sublime. Pretty easy cook too, didn’t do any probes, just let it ride for about 4.5 hours followed by short wrap in oven

What I didn’t like - maybe it was just the cut I got or maybe I should have let it go longer but there was a lot of large, inedible chunks of fat to carve out. I got plenty of food for me and wife, but it’s disappointing to some extent. I actually wonder if choice might be better for this cut given how fatty it is to begin with. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good ribeye, have enjoyed some Wagyu meat and I’ve got beef tallow stocked, but there is a limit lol
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here