Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood chunks in PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ended up using 6oz. 2oz every hr x 3. Definitely was not over smoked. Might have been able to use more...

Comment

I have done a few cooks with and a few cooks without. I think you need to add wood for sure when doing a gnarly cut like a pork shoulder, but not 100% necessary with chicken.

I've been using peach wood chunks which are amazing, mellow yet flavorful like apple wood.

I normally put 4 - 5 chunks in at the begining of the cook and that works perfectly.

Finally, one thing I have noticed, the more you use the PBC and the more you add wood, the more "seasoning" it picks up and the stronger the smoke flavor you get in future cooks. So moving forward I will continue to add wood for shoulders and ribs, but when I do chickens alone I probably will not add wood and rely on the residuals from prior cooks.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Loves me some peach wood.

Welcome to The Pit KingOfSilverSpring. Let's hear from you over at the Introductions channel!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here