Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood chunks. Yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need much wood in the PBC: one 3 to 4 oz chunk will do for short cooks, 2-3 of the same or slightly larger size for longer cooks.

As with many things, including moderation, moderation is the key. Wood can mess with the temperature of the barrel for a while until it settles in, which is why I place it on top of the unlit coals before pouring the burning coals in.

Some people say they cannot taste the wood smoke flavor in the final result, but others (like me) think it makes a difference. The answer lies in your taste buds.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
      You don't need much wood in the PBC: one 3 to 4 oz chunk will do for short cooks, 2-3 of the same or slightly larger size for longer cooks.

As with many things, including moderation, moderation is the key. Wood can mess with the temperature of the barrel for a while until it settles in, which is why I place it on top of the unlit coals before pouring the burning coals in.

Some people say they cannot taste the wood smoke flavor in the final result, but others (like me) think it makes a difference. The answer lies in your taste buds.

Kathryn
      I like the addition of smoke, but as "FZX" says, a little goes a long way. I'm doing two chickens in a PBJ as I write this, and used one small chunk of mesquite. Personally, I like the taste of smoke and find that it enhances the charcoal and smoke created by the juices dripping on the coals.

To each his own!

Comment

I’ve been doing hickory chunks this year and I really like it. Have done apple and cherry chips before but the chunks are easier.

Comment

I had a vertical smoker in the past. I filled the middle bowl with water and cut veggies that were savory. In the fire bowl, a little lump and apple chunks. Time intensive because of the dry wood but in the end well worth it

Comment

I use chunks for Ham or Beef, I find with poultry or fish the smoke ts to strong.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here