Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBX owners...let me hear ya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBX owners...let me hear ya

Hello all.....I have a PBC and absolutely love it. It is my go to for ribs....I have various other grills like most of us in here. I have the opportunity to get a PBX at a good price and looking to those who have one. Did it live up to your expectations? Would you buy it again? Likes...dislikes about it? The last thing I need is another grill/smoker but the fact I can grab this one at a discount it is calling me!! Thanks -Rob

​

Those barrels are wib killers, yessir! Don’t have an X, but if yer gettin it fer a good price, well………

Comment

PBR, PBJ, PBC, PBX! Just do it!
      Last edited by HawkerXP; June 15, 2022, 06:24 AM. Reason: pbr

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        For some unforeknown reason you always leave out PBR

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        better bbqLuv ?

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP Thank you so much. You're the best.

I think you’ve answered your own question. Of course you should.

Comment

Originally posted by Soonerpop View Post
        I think you’ve answered your own question. Of course you should.
        yeah but by asking the question......it makes it seem like the right choice! Lol. Then again this type of question in this group....what else would the answer be?? Lol

Comment

yes, PBJ all the way!

Comment

I am in the process of reviewing one for PBC. I am loving it so far. It runs much like the regular PBC. And it has three rebar to hang stuff from. Top quality and service you come to expect from PBC.

I would get one if they had not sent me one already, and I will probably get one when I send this one back. I am loving it for high-capacity cooks. I used it to smoke a ton of meat for the crew when making syrup this spring. It rips! LMK if you have any particular questions. Happy to help.

Comment

• jitsntricks
              jitsntricks commented
              Editing a comment
              @Spinaker.... Oh that's right, I think I remember that. Good for you! Livin' the dream my man!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I am pretty lucky to say the least! jitsntricks

• Soonerpop
              Soonerpop commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, like you’re gonna send that one back.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
            I am in the process of reviewing one for PBC. I am loving it so far. It runs much like the regular PBC. And it has three rebar to hang stuff from. Top quality and service you come to expect from PBC.

I would get one if they had not sent me one already, and I will probably get one when I send this one back. I am loving it for high-capacity cooks. I used it to smoke a ton of meat for the crew when making syrup this spring. It rips! LMK if you have any particular questions. Happy to help.
            I appreciate it......love love my PBC and that is why I'm thinking of adding the PBX...even though I already have a big drum smoker. Thanks

Comment

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a PBX too. I'll keep in San Diego at my in-laws for large family cooks. What's the experience of PBX owners for the smaller immediate family cooks?

Comment

Originally posted by Thomassen View Post
                I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a PBX too. I'll keep in San Diego at my in-laws for large family cooks. What's the experience of PBX owners for the smaller immediate family cooks?
                The PBX is probably overkill for that. It will work, of course, but might be a bit over kill. Go for the regular PBC or the PBJ. That being said, the PBX will certainly work for that. I would go with the PBX if I was regularly cooking for crowds. Otherwise, the PBC and PBJ work great, you already get great capacity from these units.

For today, I am doing 35 lbs of pork shoulders for a grad party tomorrow. I have it loaded down with space to spare. For small family cooks, its a lot of fuel for cooking smaller amounts of meat that could be done on a smaller rig. Will it work? Sure. Is the PBX overkill for small family cooks? Probably.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6738.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1238120

Comment

• Thomassen
                  Thomassen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the feedback. Am going with the original PBC.

I am curious. My PBC will run around 175-180 F average, with both rebars in and the bottom vent set for my elevation. How does that compare with the PBJ and with the PBX?

As an aside comment: By removing both rods and using the grate in my PBC, using rare earth magnets for adjusting all four holes, I can get the PBC to cook pretty well from about 240F up. Unless my Weber Performer is just too small, now that I have it, I use it mostly for the cooks the PBC used to do when I needed lower temps as it can excel at temp adjustment.

The magnets are round, are slightly larger than the holes they cover think about the size of a quarter. I keep one besides each hole on the outside of the drum and simply use a piece of wood to move them around. Getting them off with your hands is difficult as the magnetism is extremely strong.
                Last edited by Alabama Smoke; June 21, 2022, 03:37 PM. Reason: I earlier indicated I could run the PBC as low as 140F for low and slow. That was totally incorrect. I meant 240F ambient temp at the grate.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you have low temperatures for a reason?

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you maybe mean 275-280° and 240° PBC ambient temps?

K.

I have a PBJ and it runs at between 250-275 which I'm fine with. If rebars out and if needed I'll use foil to plug the hole(s) as needed. Rebars in, if needed wrap foil around them to tighten the closure as needed. The vent is set for my elevation which is 600'ish. As I mentioned in a previous cook post for a chuckie, using B&B versas KBB was a world of difference in ease of temperature management.

I do like the idea of the magnets, I will look into it. Obviously won't work with the rebars in.

Just order magnets from Amazon. S/B here Sunday. Oh well I'll need to test em' out.
                Last edited by RichieB; June 17, 2022, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I would love to have a PBX. I love my PBC so much, and I trust that company's quality control. They went through so many prototypes before releasing the other PB's that I'm sure they did the same with this one.

Comment

Sorry, I don't have a PBX. It's just my wife and I, and we both have cell phones.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	609476ED-DFB9-482C-B732-8ACAE3DA291B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.11 MB ID:	1238482 Click image for larger version  Name:	E0D70F3A-323D-478B-A501-D8E3131F7932.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.96 MB ID:	1238483 Thought I would throw some pictures in from the cook yesterday. Everything turned out great. I used B&B Lump for this cook. I threw in some oak splits for good measure. She chugged along very steady at about 300 F- 275 F. It took a little stoking mid-cook, but it ran fine.

The PBX is a tank! As you can see in the picture below, I still had some lump left over. Total cook time was about 12 hours! I did wrap them and finish in the oven when they hit about 185. I could have ripped them on the grate but, I was prepping other stuff for a big KBQ cook today. These shoulders are for a graduation party today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	295D779C-D80D-43A3-AEB6-4BBCB26D720B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.66 MB ID:	1238484

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How are you planning on reheating those PBs?

K.

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No, I left them in the oven at 185 F, wrapped tightly. The party is at 1 PM, so I will pull them and put them in a Turkey roaster for serving. Rather than go through shocking and reheating, I decided to just let them stay hot in the oven. It actually makes for crazy good pulled pork when I do it this way. fzxdoc

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here