Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Cook Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Cook Brisket

well, I don't know. doing a 5.5 lb flat and it reached 167 in 2 hours (wrapped at 2 hours with wygyu fat), and 207 in 3 (total cook time). at first I thought my probe was too close to the outer edge of the meat, but the thermopen confirmed the temps. the fire was very hot (started at 412, fell to 355, then 283 after plugging 2 of the holes). in the cambro after, and we'll eat in 8 hours. surprised by the heat and short time, and worried the meat will be rubbish. fingers crossed.

Hopefully the hold will do the rest as long as it stays over 165 in the cooler. You could also hold in and oven at low temp if you are worried about it. Cant wait to see snd hear how it turns out!!

Comment

Fascinating... looking forward to hearing the outcome!

Comment

I like cooking brisket hot and fast. For me that means 300 F and normally about 7 hours to very tender. I’ve never gone that hot and only used full packer briskets, so never that fast. I’m interested to see how yours turns out.

Comment

Lookin' forward to your results too. As stated above, if the IT drops too much, put it in your oven on the lowest setting 'till time to eat.

Comment

Would love to hear more and see pics....how is the bark??

Curious to know what you are cooking on.
            Last edited by Bad Hat BBQ; May 29, 2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brisket May 2022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	1228552

...after 4 hours in cambro (faux) temp dropped to 144, moved to 225 oven (for dinner at 6); temp rose to 166. good taste, reasonably moist. didn't do a very good job of trimming, but given the heat and shortness of cook, satisfied. Cooked on my PBC.

As I think about the temps, I believe the reason for the high temp was the addition of a small handful of lump charcoal on top of the basket (after removing 40 briquets to start the fire). Note to self: don't deviate from the written instructions (as the old coach said: "don't think, you hurt the team").
              Last edited by racertrader; May 31, 2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I just threw on a brisket for hot & fast - I was too lazy to go pick it up last night and get it thrown on, so I'm playing catchup today.

Mine's a prime that I wet-aged a long time then froze, we'll see how it turns out. I'm running about 350ºF on my Yoder pellet cooker with a water pan underneath.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here