Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one?

I have been patiently waiting to win second prize in the Amazing Giveaway so I could choose a PBC. Looks like it ain't going to happen, but I haven't had a new cooker since last year. And last night I found out the town celebration is having a BBQ contest this summer. June 15. Not my choice of what I would prefer cooking, but not my choice. I have a suspicion it's what local producers are providing. Pork Loin or chicken wings.

That's all just to lead up to, I'm using this as an excuse to buy a new cooker. My OG is 2 hours away, and I really don't want to haul it back. The Blaz'n Grid Iron is 225 lbs. If my son or son in law wants to bring their pickup and team up with me that might be possible, but I don't want to push it downtown. I figure a PBC would be much easier to transport, and besides, I don't have one yet.

Now, the question I'm really leading up to is, should I buy the PBC classic, or the PBX? Or if Panhead John wants to jump in, should I get a Bronco. For bigger cooks I've already got the Blaz'n. Is it easier to control the temp on the smaller cooker? I do have a place near me that is supposed to be a dealer where I might be able to compare in person, but out of consideration, I want to give all of you a chance to try to convince me.

Go thru AR. Get the PBC not PBX n not PBJ.
    You will not regret it. Customer service is awesome n ships the day you order it. Order off AR website, n they get a perk. Not sure where in Iowa you are but as the crow flies, if you order today prob have Sat. No preseason either
    btw did I say “ you will not regret it?!?!?!

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Getting it soon is a plus, because if I'm going to use it in a cookoff I want to run some loins and wings through it between now and June. Fortunately, I picked up 3 or 4 loins (and 6 or 8 racks of ribs) not long ago when there was a really good sale.

I have one of the original classics. My boys have the newer ones. Awesome for ribs and chicken. Hard for me to eat chicken any other way than on the Pit Barrel!

Comment

I had the regular PBC and it was great. It gets my vote. A large turkey fits well too. The grill store on the west side of Clear Lake Iowa did sell them if you want to give them a call. Good luck!

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, Pit Barrel still lists them as a dealer. Not listed on their site, but I may swing by there and take a look. About 20 miles away. Next door in Iowa.

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. I’ve spatchcocked two 16lb turkeys in there.

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        I have done two individually. 17 n 19. Seasoned all sides, clip the wing tips n foil the ends then drumsticks also get foil on the ends, as they will be very close to the coals.
        17 was done in an hour n half on the bean.
        19 was appx 2 hrs. I plug two of the holes n run my rebar across the center n poke my hangers just out side the breasts. Pull at breast IT 156. Dark will be much hotter but will still be fine. Delish! Enjoy!

Get the Bronco, it’s what the PBC should have been. My PBC wouldn’t stay below 375°, and the folks at PBC couldn’t have cared less, they just repeated "it’s a set it and forget it cooker" over and over again. Maybe the made in China quality is bad or maybe it’s just a crap shoot, but my experience was horrible.

Comment

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        I have never had a bad cook or poor response fr PBC n Co.

Our local Ace Hardware sells PBC.

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Been checking the Ace website, and they still list them, but none of the stores within an hour of me have them.

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Our local Ace usually has what ever I order on Thursday if I order in person by noon Monday. Just a thought.

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll probably order through the AmazingRibs link.

I don’t know much food you are planning on doing for this cook-off but if mobility is a priority, should we look at the PKGO?

View the award-winning Original PK Grill and Smoker here! The Original PK Grill will be the best and last grill you'll ever purchase. Get yours today.

The OK Bronco weighs 136 pounds so not exactly super mobile. I’d lean PBC if you are going to be lifting this cooker in and out of trucks.
      Last edited by STEbbq; April 27, 2022, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        My Blaz'n is 225, which is why I was looking for something lighter.

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        PBC guts come out( charcoal basket, rebars, grill n lid.)Individually very portable.

I had the classic and it never let me down. Rock solid at 275F … or higher as needed.

Comment

Another question for those who have them, which of the accessories is must have, and if you bought one of the packages, what have you never used? Realizing mileage varies?

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Lots of extra hooks. I double hook most things to keep them safe from dropping when they get tender vs switching to the grate.

I really like the turkey hanger since I can just hang a whole bird without a lot of prep work, but halves can be hooked just fine also.

• Jessterr
          Jessterr commented
          Editing a comment
          I second all this, the ash plate, hinged grate, extra hooks, and the turkey hanger is a nice plus. I did buy a number of other items like the hanging baskets, etc. but to be honest have never used any of them. Maybe some day, but I haven’t used them yet.

• Livermoron
          Livermoron commented
          Editing a comment
          For me, PBC ash catcher, bird hangers and skewers.

I found the ash pan to be helpful. Nothing else, though.

Comment

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Same. Ash pan is clearly a must have, plus maybe some other hooks if you want to daisy chain or split rib racks in half.

I also bought the turkey hanger and the hinged grate - misplaced the hinged grate and haven't really missed it since it disappeared and used the turkey hanger once - i either split or spatchcock my turkey.

As much as I’d like to recommend the Bronco, it is pretty heavy. If you’re gonna be loading it up and taking it elsewhere, it would be much easier with the PBC. As "IFindZero or whatever his name is" mentioned, it weighs 136.6 lbs. It does wheel around fairly easy on smooth surfaces, but I wouldn’t want to drag it across town or whatever. (even though it’s superior to the PBC) 😎
        Last edited by Panhead John; April 27, 2022, 08:49 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man … where’s the [🤨] button when you need one?

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah - I was going to jump in and say this too. If he wants a smoker for portability to carry away from the house to a competition, the Bronco won't be loaded without help. That empty 18" PBC will be a piece of cake by yourself.

A KBQ is lighter

Comment

Let's see. Charcoal fired, portable, easy to run, and can work with or without a water pan. Yep, you want a WSM.

Comment

PBC, PBC, PBC!!!! I have never used my hinged grate, maybe I'm missing out. I recommend the ash pan, ultimate hook tool, and the custom pit grill grates. Their spatula and tong set is surprisingly nice and reasonably priced but you probably already have spatula and tongs. If you want to smoke turkey in it you could get the turkey hanger as it makes it much easier but i don't consider this a must have accessory. I'm meh about smoked turkey. . . I have a short chimney which I consider essential, it doesn't have to be PBC - theirs works fine though.

Regarding the temperature, lighting methods, etc. I have found the best advice is here in the Pit and not at PBC site. The PBC can be "set it and forget it" if you anticipate the fluctuations that are normal to it. In my experience it does not hold a consistent temperature like a pellet burner but can carry an average temperature over a longer cook that is effective with great results.

Comment

I’ve been waiting for somebody on the pit to get a PBX, so I recommend you get one of those. Ash pan and turkey hanger are my essentials.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here