Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fan Controllers and PBC temps for brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan Controllers and PBC temps for brisket

It seems that the part of the flat closest to the coal basket is a little dry. I smoke prime briskets from Costco. I use a Pit Viper fan and DigiQ to control barrel temps and set it for 270 degrees. Am curious as to what others who use fan systems to control barrel temps set them at. Am thinking a lower temp would be better. Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks, in advance.

I usually run mine with a Pit Viper and a Fireboard 2 at 270 - 275. Another option is don't hang your briskets, just lay them on the grate.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      My setup as well

I typically hanged no more than 5.5-6 hours. That at least shrinks them up enough to go to the grate.

Comment

• Thomassen
      Thomassen commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you wrap after 5.5-6 hours?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Thomassen Heck no. The flat is typically a soupy mess, and when you got 4 cooking they barely have enough bark at 203 internal due to all the humidity.

I use a fireboard with a pit viper fan. I did a 7.5 lb brisket @ 285F for about 7.5 hours and my flat was also a bit dry. I also wrap once it hits 160F (butcher paper) and lay it on the grill fat side down.

I'm contemplating dropping it to 250-260F next time to see if that helps.
    Last edited by KuKuPuffs; April 8, 2022, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Thomassen
      Thomassen commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking of dropping temp too. Let us know how it turns out.

My pellet grill has it built in. LOL

Comment

Sorry I cannot add to the blower fan discussion.

But have you tried doing the flat and point separately on the grate? To separate I do not get butcher/muscle type fancy, I just make one straight cut top to bottom and separate the "thin" from the "thick" (flat from the point) and cook them separately as though they were two distinct and different cuts of meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here