Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two PBC Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two PBC Questions

1) Lots of talk about taking interior temp of the cooker during a cook. How/where do you place the probes? (I use a Maverick with 2 probes).
    2) I the only reasonably priced pork butts I typically have access to are boneless. I want to start the cook hanging. Any tips on hanging a boneless butt? Surely somebody's done it.

Thanks,
    Tim

Generally I just wrap the probe around the rebar and let it hang next to the meat, about a few inches away so that the probe is not in the cold air bubble that is surrounding the meat.

I wrap the butts(bone in and boneless) with some butchers twine and when I hang a butt I make sure to hook that twine along with the meat. I also dont let butts hang for the entire cook but I believe Jerod Broussard lets his hang for the entire cook with success.

Comment

Run it through the rebar vent and wrap around the rebar. Let the tip hang.

Comment

I have hung boneless butts. Took them to 203. Didn't lose any in the coals. Maybe I was lucky.

Comment

I hang the Mav probe same way Ernest does.
          I typically cut boneless butts into 3 lb buttlets" and tie up heavily with either butchers twine or silicone cooking bands. I usually move them over to the grate around 170-180 degrees IT just cuz I do not want to stress out about losing food in the fire. I have only lost food in the fire one time with some BB ribs. Since that happened, I always double hook my ribs, chuck roast, ect.

Comment

I hung a boneless butt just fine. The PBC website pulled pork video is with a boneless.

Comment

Thanks all. PBC coming this week. Gotta be ready.

Tim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here