Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mold in my PBC, how best to attack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get mold in my wsm kind of regularly regardless of how I store it. I get some Brillo pads and scrub it out with hot water and Dawn dishwashing detergent a couple of times then I burn a full basket of charcoal with the vents wide open. Works like a charm.

Comment

Well, here's how this is going.....

I found some Tilex cleaner in the house that is 2% bleach and I used that. It is a foaming spray. I gave the interior of the barrel and the lid a good spray down, concentrating on the obvious areas. After a ten minute or so soak, that stuff is impressive. The mold/mildew was nearly all gone.

I then hosed the barrel down with a garden hose. I then turned the barrel upside down to let as much water flow out as possible.

Then I commenced with the burn out, as not let any water stay on that barrel for any longer than necessary. A full basket with another full chimney of charcoal on top. Obviously, some of the coals overflowed, but not too many. I placed the rods down near the basket for a bit, then put them back in the holes. I left the lid off for a bit, but now it is partially covering the top.

It's still burning and will for another few hours. This looks like it is working well and far less daunting than I thought it would be. For fun, I'm doing my Weber Kettle, too.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Any chance of before and after pics?

So how's your PBC looking today?

Kathryn

Comment

From the peanut gallery, I was tempted to take cleaners and chemicals to my BKK but decided not to.
        I was concerned about residue that could be left over even after burning and burning multiple times as well.
        Plus whenever I use bleach there goes another pair a pants, shirt....or jacket....

Comment

• Duanessmokedmeats
          Duanessmokedmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          That is why I just use it in the buff...

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
        Plus whenever I use bleach there goes another pair a pants, shirt....or jacket....
        I certainly hear you on that....

Comment

Here are two after photos. (The before are in my first post.)

No mold or mildew visibly remains. Also, it has been two days, and there is no evidence of additional rust. (I have some existing rust near the bottom where the coating has flaked off a bit.)

So I'm happy with my approach: a thorough application of a mild (wow bleach is powerful, even at 2%) bleach solution and soak, then a good wash-out, followed by a long burn out.

(The white stuff in the photos is just the sun reflecting off the jagged "seasoning" of the PBC.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5135.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1126031

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5136.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1126032

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            ..., ..., ...!

Long story short, as it were....

If you have a drum smoker, cook often!

Comment

you made me check my PBC which has been under a Cover for about 2 months. And damn it, Yep Mold for me also.

I fired up a overflowing basket of Lump Coal and threw the rebars in there and left the lid cracked open. After it was cooled down the next day, I masked up and used a wire brush and tried to scrub everything. I then sprayed the insides down with distilled vinegar. Lit up another basket of coals and fired it up again. Afterwards everything kind of turned gray/white at the end.

then.....fired it up again and smoked a turkey breast. It's been a few days since then and no adverse health issues since......:crossing fingers
            Attached Files
            Last edited by KuKuPuffs; November 17, 2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Folks... try tossing a bunch of silica gel packets in there if you're letting it sit for awhile.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here