Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RichieB Nope, it does not need to be seasoned. It probably will run a bit hot for the first couple of cooks until it gunks up a bit, but that's fine for a yardbird.

Comment

Alright! You’ll enjoy the PBJ. I didn’t season mine. I think I cooked a whole chicken cut in half, hung on two hooks. It takes a few cooks for the lid to gunk up and get a good seal. Have fun with it.

Comment

The PBJ arrived this afternoon. Ready to go. Pulled a chicken out of the freezer. Pictures to follow.

fzxdoc, I went to the PBC channel. Am am dumbfounded with the amount of detail you put into your articles. I printed the How to Light. I haven't read the others yet but will Thank You!

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          She is the PBC expert, fer sure!
          Last edited by Panhead John; November 5, 2021, 04:04 PM.

Enjoy your new PBC Jr., RichieB . You've got a lot of good eating ahead of you with that cooker.

Kathryn

Comment

Inaugural cook on my latest cooker done.

Hung a chicken about 2 hours running at 280. Little to no temperature management as advertised.

When chicken done wrapped in foil. Oven at 170. Put the grate on PBJ and sliced russet in grill bag seasoned to my liking. Yea, some heat added.

Again, thanks fzxdoc. I literally read your guidance for starting, managing and cook temps for chicken while in the cooking process.

My only question, why did I wait so long to add to my cooker family?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211106_142548.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	1121285 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211106_164139.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1121286 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211106_184841.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1121287

Comment

That chicken looks delish. What rub did you use?

Now you know why we PBC users are so happy. I'm happy that some of the info I posted could be of use to you as you break in your PBC Jr.

Continue to enjoy your cooks.

Kathryn

Comment

• RichieB
              RichieB commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, it's M.H.s rub/brine. In fridge about 3 hours prior to cook. Also a couple of chunks of 🍒.

RichieB , try the PBC All Purpose Rub that came with the PBC Jr.
            It contains a lot of salt, so I use it to dry brine the chicken overnight, uncovered, in the fridge for the skin to dry out to help it crisp up. That rub makes delicious chicken. Great flavor. Just saying.

FWIW, here's how I do PBC chicken:

Chicken on the PBC: How to get juicy chicken with crispy skin

First, about salt: if the rub I choose contains salt then I don't add any extra salt. Ever. I use the salt-containing rub as a dry brine.

Even though it contains a lot of salt, I love PBC's AP rub with chicken and use it as a dry brine. I never add more salt. I smoke chickens once every two weeks, on average, and they're always done in an hour or so and the skin is crispy.

Chicken prep:
            1. Slice the chicken in half the way Noah shows on his chicken video on the PBC website.
            2. Separate the skin from the muscle underneath on the breast, thigh, and leg.
            3. Sprinkle AP rub all over that exposed muscle and rub/pat to get it to stick.
            4. Smooth the skin back into place and sprinkle the skin with a mixture of one Tablespoon of rub and a teaspoon of baking powder.The baking powder helps to dry the skin.
            5. Set the chicken on a rack in a tray, uncovered, positioned with the maximum amount of skin exposed, in the refrigerator for 24 hours. This helps to dry the skin.
            6. When it comes time to smoke the chicken, sprinkle it lightly with sweet paprika. This helps give it a pretty color
            7. Hook and hang the chicken in the PBC once it has gone through the 15-10-10 lighting procedure (or whatever works for you) outlined in the first post of this topic. I let the PBC temp get over 400 before hanging the chicken. The PBC temp drops quickly when this cold meat mass is introduced, then climbs back up.
            Smoking:
            1. Keep the PBC temperature up between 325 and 360. Usually I keep it around 350 or so. I do this by judiciously cracking the lid for short periods of time and by pulling a rebar if I'm only doing one chicken.
            2. Check the chicken temp and pull it when the breast reads 160. The carryover cooking will bring it to the safe 165. At this temperature, the legs and thighs are done as well.
            3. Let the chicken rest for a little bit before slicing. Otherwise, because the meat is so juicy and tender, the bone sometimes pulls right out of the leg when you try to eat it!
            Other Notes:
            I like slicing the chicken in half in the prep phase because I can get 3 chickens in the PBC that way, or 2 chickens and 2 hanging sausage holders filled with sausages. (Those sausages add a flavor bomb to the chicken, at least to our taste buds.)

The chicken easier to carve if I remove the breast bone after slicing the bird in two in the prep stage. Then during carving, breast section easily pulls away from the rib cage so I can slice it crosswise.

I don't use any oil on or under the skin for two reasons: first, Meathead now says that it doesn't do much, flavorwise, for oil-soluble spices, and second, for me at least, oil prevents the chicken skin from crisping. I get crisper skin without it. Lots of folks use oil, though, so try for yourself and see what works best.

If you're smoking only one chicken, use only one rebar and run it diagonally. This gives you more room for the meat, and the open holes help keep the PBC temperature in the desired 325°-375° range. The chicken should be done in an hour or so.

For high temp poultry cooks where I need both rebars for hanging the meat, I have switched out the rebars for thin stainless steel rods. This leaves a lot more air space in the rebar holes and helps keep the temps up. Here's my post on that method:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...emp#post340677

Kathryn

Comment

• RichieB
              RichieB commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I'll give the rub try on my next bird. Have you used it on any other protein?

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              RichieB
              Yes, I've used PBC's AP rub on pork butts and ribs, but I prefer Meathead's MMD or Hank's KC Royale Pork 'n Poultry rub for those. I order the PBC AP rub in the large bags, I use it so often on poultry.

I'm not a fan of PBC's Meat and Game rub. It has an odd flavor that I can't pinpoint. I much prefer Meathead's BBBR for chuck roasts and briskets, or Black Ops SPOGOS along with BBBR.

K.

Update: I ordered and received today the hinged grate and bottle opener, hey you have to open that bottle. The surprise was a Pit Barrel hat. Thanks Pit Barrel Company.

Name:	20211203_120604.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1136374

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John, Masterbuilt sent me a free sombrero and poncho when I ordered their rotisserie kit. You're dealing with the wrong companies, man!
              Last edited by Steve R.; December 4, 2021, 04:05 PM.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              If ida knowd that I wudda gots me one of them instead. 😢

• RichieB
              RichieB commented
              Editing a comment
              I put the opener on the PBJ today. Even being in garage and not using wanted to test it. Into fridge no bottles all cans. So in frustration I opened one.

I saw that you ordered it. It will do what you need. I have had a PBJ for about 9 month, and I would have gotten a kettle had I been more experienced. It's beneficial to get a 10 gallon galvanized can. The coal basket fits right in it. Edit: I will say that since I have the PBJ, I got the 36" Blackstone over the kettle since the PBJ gives me the charcoal cooks I want. The griddle has be a whole new wonderful cooking experience.
            Last edited by saneric38; December 4, 2021, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Honestly, I may be one of the few who recommends caution on the PBJ. My friend has a PBC and we both love it. I ended up getting the PBJ thinking it was more portable and that I would take it camping more often. In the end after almost a year of owning and multiple cooks I am finding my PBJ will not hold any kind of consistent temperature from cook to cook. Set per directions and following the lighting sticky on the forums, my PBJ swings between 275 and 350. If I put aluminum foil on two of the rebar openings I can get the temps down to 275 and hold, but then it becomes very sensitive to outside temperature. I am thinking after all this time that the smaller size of the PBJ compared to the PBC is part of the problem of outside temp sensitivity. I live in texas where winter is around 25-35 F before windchill and summer will be 90-105F. Just my two cents.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                Alabama Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                You probably have an air leak around the lid. Pretty common occurrence. Get a brillo pad and a little water, find a warm spot (for you,,,it cold outside) and scrub out the edges of the lid where its sits on the barrel lip. Get it super clean! When I finished doing mine, I rubbed that area with a cotton pad and alcohol! No residue. Now that is clean! Then get you a lid gasket with an adhesive backing and install it on the lid. I ordered mine from Island Outdoor, LLC. Go to Amazon.com.

• Nightrayne
                Nightrayne commented
                Editing a comment
                Alabama Smoke - Thanks for the gasket idea. I will have to look into it. (Stubbornly refusing to give up at this point)

• Soonerpop
                Soonerpop commented
                Editing a comment
                Don’t have the problem with myPBJ, so tend to agree with the others. Academy has the Bronco for $299. Saw it a couple of days ago when I was buying charcoal.

Question for the PBC/PBJ folks. I'm thinking of getting the ash catcher and chimney. I think the chimney is a given. The one I have (big) it is awkward getting it flipped to dump in basket as I have the PBJ 14" and at $19 no issue. The ash pan is my question. Anyone have it, and think it's worth the $33? I'm using fzxdoc method with foil. It sort of a pain I still need to dump the residue ashes. TIA for any input.

Comment

I think it helps. I line the bottom of PBJr with foil- it usually stays there and I can used it for a few cooks. If it looks ragged I roll up the foil and the bottom is clean

Comment

• RichieB
                  RichieB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So you use foil in addition to the ash catcher and like it?

I have both. The ash catcher helps a lot, but I’m going to start putting foil on the bottom as well. There’s always some ash that finds it’s way there. The chimney is still pretty tight with the PBJ. I’ve been using it to light 12 or so briquettes, then putting them in the charcoal basket with tongs to put them where I want them to spread them out. I could use my big chimney for that, but use the little one since I have it.

Comment

Name:	IMG_6013.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	1174219

That's how much ash is left with the ash catcher. That's probably a couple tablespoons worth in the ~10 cooks since the last time I vacuumed it out. Much easier to get the shop vac out every couple of months than screwing around with foil every cook.

Comment

Yes, I use both and like it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here