Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket on PBC - In process question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket on PBC - In process question

So I've done several racks of ribs in my PBC, and feel pretty dang comfortable producing a quality rib now.

I'm 3:30 into my brisket smoke.

Been monitoring the meat / inside cooker temp the whole time.

I've been running 225ish the whole smoke - occasionally hotter or a shade cooler.

I'm stuck at 150 for last hour.

Is this the stall? I feel like it should be at 160 or so.

Hoping one or two of you veterans is out there watching football, drinking a cold one, and waiting to help a rookie.

Nah, the physical properties of water has it stalling at 160 with a 225 cooking temp with just a bowl of water. Mixed with muscle fibers and what not, it isn't that efficient in meat and will stall a bit sooner.

Once you get to a 250 cooking temp on your brisket, then the stall will hit around 160-165.

Individual mileage will vary a tad due to varying humidity levels.

From the main site "Stall" page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterBathCurve.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	110818
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 20, 2015, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I can't decide if I should wrap it here or keep it rolling for a few more hours to get upwards of 160.

Comment

What does the bark look like?? I let that decide. Is it still hanging? What does the fat cap look like??

Comment

Personally I've been liking going past the stall before wrapping, Moore like at 180-190. Like Jerod the brisket king says, go to bark.

Comment

It is still hanging. Did a rub with it. It looks like it has a decent bark, but could just be from the rub crusting. 153 now.

I'm in Houston, so sea level and pretty dang humid.

Consensus? Let it roll? I'm only 4 hours in, but it's been at 150ish for last 1.5 hours.

Comment

I should say, I really appreciate the thoughts in general. I'm sure this has been covered 1million times. Just a rookie here, and haven't had time to bury down through the pages yet.

Comment

If the fat cap is dark. I would lay fat cap up on the grate. This will help bark up the top of the flat, that will never bark enough just hanging. But you could easily go another 1.5 hours before going to the grate.

I'm 3 hours northeast of you. But I grew up 38 miles from the Gulf.

Comment

If I haven't said it already, welcome to The Pit TAH! Sounds like Jerod and Huskee have you taken care of.

Comment

TxAgHill, It sounds to me like you have the Heebe Jeebies. Take it easy and Liston to what these Fellas are telling you, they won't knowingly tell you wrong! Welcome to the Pit, Dan
                    Last edited by Danjohnston949; September 20, 2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Hey TAH Welcome Aboard...

I concur with Dan... these guys are the brisket experts!

Comment

In church be out for a while.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here