Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New PBX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I needed this size I'd be tempted by the OKJ Bronco Pro which has most of what fzxdoc mentions as a wishlist and, assuming it works like its little sibling, seems to nail ease of use and rock solid temps. https://www.oklahomajoes.com/bronco-pro-drum-smoker

Comment

Yup, the OJB and its big bro both have more bells and whistles than the PBC. I don't know first hand about the OJB's reliability, but I have read of rusting out reports. That's not to say that the PBC doesn't have some bad reports as well, just not from me. Mine is one of the original ones with the old timey finish, and it looks pretty darn good for all the use it gets.

I'm not bothered about the lack of an upper vent because I run my PBC pretty much with ATC--Pit Viper fan and Fireboard Drive. And I purchased a wheeled dolly for it. I have other cookers to grill on, so raising the basket closer to the grate is not an issue. I have raised it in the past. I just don't like wielding a spatula in the belly (thorax?) of the beast trying to flip burgers. My kettles do that job just fine.

I'm not really in the market for a new barrel smoker, but if I was, I'd look closely at the Oklahoma Joe products as well as the PBC and give reports regarding longevity a close scrutiny. I'd stack that up against the PBC's proven excellent customer service and the fact that I enjoy using my PBC. A lot.

Kathryn

Comment

IMO the PBC has always been a little different than other cookers, even other barrels. I’m glad they didn’t just take the list of OJB features and accessories and copy it. The PBC is still its own thang.

Can’t wait to see if having three rebar can allow for some creative configurations. I think the weird setups you can create are one of the most fun parts of a PBC.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          PBC, PBJ, PBX!

I love that they kept it simple. Just a lid, basket, few rods and a barrel. I see they did add another rod, but that is enough for me. If you need the extra capacity, this is it.

I don't really see a need for all the other frills and stuff. I use mine the way I always have. No ash catcher, no lid vent and no hinge grate. Just hang and go folks! For me, the simplicity is what I love about the PBC. When the cook is over, let it burn out then dump the ash out of the barrel. Just the way I feel about it. I get why some want the other stuff, but for me, the more simple it is, the better.

Throw the lid on, walk away and you are good to go. It cooks better and more consistent the more you use it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I built an ash catcher and a "great grate" before they came out. Pretty sure I'd put two lid vents in this bad boy.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Or stacks.............. Jerod Broussard

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. The older I get the more I appreciate "less is more". PBC design fits that bill for me.

Interesting design choices… it appears that PBC doesn’t want to compete directly with the likes of Gateway, Hunsaker or Cotton Gin who make drums with wheels, adjustable vents, etc. The PBX has a nice price point that is considerably less than those other drums.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Great point! A trailer full of those barrels could churn out some meat.

I own a PBC, and did pull the trigger on a PBX. Mainly because of the increased cooking capacity. So far for smaller cooks I have noticed decreased cooking times vs. the PBC. Been using the same charcoal (Embers) and lighting method as I do on the PBC. Not sure WHY the times are slightly less, but for me they have been. Haven’t had an opportunity to fully load it up yet.

Comment

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. Any idea of how long a full basket of charcoal will last?

I did a test run before I started cooking on it, and I got about 8 hours. Seems to be similar to that of the regular PBC.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to know you are liking it. You need to share some pics of cooking on that jumbo Pitbarrel Cooker!

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here