Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC chuck roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC chuck roast

Inspired by others around these parts, I did 2 2.5 lb chuck roasts this weekend. Basically treated them like brisket. Dry brined for about 36 hours, coated with BBBR, and put them onto the grate in the PBC. They seemed a bit too likely to fall apart on the hooks. Cooked with a couple of pecan chunks. After about 4 hours, they were about 170, and the bark was solid, so I wrapped them with some beef broth, and put them back on for another hour. They were probe tender at around 203-206, so into the cambro for a little over an hour. Once all that was done, they didn't quite pull, but sliced really nicely.

This was a great cook, both for the result, and because chuck roast is a fairly inexpensive cut that comes in smaller pieces. I love cooking for a bunch of friends, but sometimes you just want to feed the family, and a 2-2.5 lb chuck is perfect. My wife was torn as to whether she liked it or brisket more, and she loves brisket! All credit to AR and this community...
    Last edited by mayapoppa; September 1, 2015, 11:32 AM.

Well Done! Dan

Comment

Ya... what Danjohnston949 said!

Comment

Congrats, mayapoppa ! Sounds like a great cook. The first chuckies I smoked pulled with some real effort--I had taken them up to 203. Then David Parrish recommended taking chuckies up to 208-209 , which I did on my next chuckie cook. That beef practically fell apart when I got it out of the cambro. I didn't even need to use bear claws. It was sooooo good! I've done a lot of chuck roast cooks since, and always aim for that 208-209 temp with a nice long cambro rest.

I like to make 3 or 4 at a time in my PBC. I use the leftover chuckies in chili, mostly, although I'm gearing up to make a smoked chuckie lasagna in another week or so.

Kathryn

Comment

• mackdaddy
          mackdaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          The chuckie lasagna sounds good. Let us know how that goes with pics & recipe. Please. Pretty Please.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, once you have pulled smoked chuck chili, mayapoppa, you'll never go back.

mackdaddy, I'll remember to do that. Huskee got me all inspired about it since he made a lasagna with smoked tomato sauce. Here's the link to Huskee's Smoked Lasagna recipe: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...lasagna-recipe

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; September 2, 2015, 07:05 AM.

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          My youngest son was bragging that chuckie's are on sale at our local grocery store which has a real nice meat department. I've smoked several chuckies and absolutely love them. Great info regarding bringing them up to 208-209. I've never cooked them that hot and have always had to use claws to pull/shred them. They are a great cut of meat and pretty easy to work with. I like the idea of pre-cooking more than needed for other applications in the near future.

Thank you for sharing that info, Kathryn.

looks great! I love pulled Chuck. I need to make one soon. Maybe this weekend.

Comment

​David Parrish fzxdoc

So, do you pull or slice chuck roasts? Does the temperature dictate which one you do? And if you pull it, do you put in on a sandwich?

I've been inspired to do one this weekend! Thanks!

Comment

I have done it both ways... if you cook till 208ish it will be good for pulling... if I want slices or chunks, I usually take it to 190- 200ish... both are excellent!

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              What smarkley said. You're gonna love it!

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, agree with Steve ( smarkley ), although I prefer pulled to sliced. For flavor and tenderness, it sure gives brisket a run for its money IMO.

Kathryn

mayapoppa Proper! I'm also going to try fzxdoc 's recommendation and run them higher before resting and pulling.

Comment

• mayapoppa
              mayapoppa commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm going to try that too, but I have no regrets about this one... it was delicious. A new item for the menu around my house!

Do you suggest 225 Pit Temp? Or 275? I've been reading Pit Boss' post on the chuck roast, so I'm getting some good information there. But, I can't find the temp. Seems like people are saying over 300 is too hot.

Comment

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah... over 300 is too hot... if you were doing this in a Pit Barrel Cooker, your avg temp might end up being 250-275, which will be ok

I like 225 ish though... and sometimes it wanders to 250, then I have to kick it a little LOL... a chuckie can be a long cook, but well worth it.

I think I like low and slow chuckie more than pork butt, actually.
              Last edited by smarkley; September 2, 2015, 10:24 AM.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              scottranda , I like to keep my PBC in the 270-290 range for long cooks like chuckies, briskets and PBs, but I don't start fiddling too much with the PBC temps until they get around 230-240 or so.

Once you do a couple of chuckie cooks, you'll get a feel for it.

Kathryn

• mayapoppa
              mayapoppa commented
              Editing a comment
              My PBC was running about 250 for most of the cook... it dropped a bit near the end, but I pulled the lid off and set it back down (not quite pushing it down to seal it) and let it go for about 20 minutes, and then resealed it. Brought it back up to the 250 range for the last 30 mins of the unwrapped cook, and held through the wrapped part of the cook. I don't mess with my PBC temps much... I usually just let it go how it wants on the day, and only intervene if it is dropping too much.

Fantastic! Thanks for all the advice! Chuckie this weekend!

Comment

Have a lot of fun with it, scottranda ! I bet it will turn out great!

Kathryn

Comment

That looks awesome. With beef prices where they are, this looks like a great beef option.

Comment

I actually prefer chuckies to brisket. The cost difference here is huge as well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here