Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling on the PBJ - Steaks, Burgers, Chops...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless I find something in my studies tonight that changes things, I'll be getting a Bronco tomorrow. Checks the low and slow box, the size box, the quality box and the "remind me why I gave up charcoal" grill box.

PKO is still a strong contender but the added smoking capacity of the Bronco is hard to ignore.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you’ll like it a lot. It’s my most "fun" cooker to use also. Uncle Bob and a few others here have had theirs much longer than me and are more experienced. So if you ever have any questions, hit them up. There’s also a OJ Bronco channel here on AR with several owners who offer great advice and tips.

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      There is one thing I'll "warn" you about as you search the web for info. I've experienced, mostly on a FB group for Bronco, a fairly high number of people who believe that a digital controller/fan is necessary to run a stable temp. What is readily seen is that most of them are newbs to the fire management thing. Typically they will run the smoker once or twice, get confused/frustrated by chasing temps, and blame the cooker. Folks with experience appreciate the designed in capabilities.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      To expand on what Uncle Bob said, the Bronco has been the easiest cooker I’ve ever owned to maintain temps on a slow cook. I don’t own a controller/fan and probably never will. Just follow the coal lighting instructions in the manual and you’ll do fine. I’ve used mine 3 times now for slow cooks and it is so easy to reach a temp and stay there! I held a steady 250* temp. for 3 hours before it dropped about 20*. I opened the intake damper a little more, and in 10 minutes it was back to 250*.

I agree with those who say get the full size PBC for smoking and a 22" Weber kettle for grilling. I've had the PBC for over 7 years and still use it all the time. It turns out delicious smoked food. The meat juices dripping directly on the fire as it smokes adds great flavor.

I have a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center and it turns out delicious smoked meat as well. I use it either in kamado or in kettle mode, depending on the cook. We love the food that comes off that Weber smoker, but the flavor of some cooks from the PBC has it beat. The PBC food tastes a bit smokier (but never overwhelming, at least to my family's taste buds); chicken and ribs on the PBC are stellar. So are pork butts. So is pastrami. So is brisket. OK. I'll stop now.

Kathryn

Comment

• Dalmore
      Dalmore commented
      Editing a comment
      Too bad I don't have the space for two more "grills." I think the OJB is going to work out really well to compliment my Weber gasser.

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      Dalmore , for folks with your requirements the added features/versatility of the OJB has particular extra value. Enjoy.

What Hawker said. You can grill on the enemy PBJ. It just takes a little more work to do so. I did some burgers the other day and they were awesome. Use the Weber with a slow and sear $100 or vortex $40 for searing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here