Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder on a PBJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Shoulder on a PBJ

Hey, my first post, don't let my name fool you, it's more to do with campfires rather than smoking. Not new to smoking but new to the Pit Barrel, have a Jr., first two cooks were a turkey and a duck. Learned a lot (don't run the thermo wires under the lid, lol). Put on an 8 lb pork shoulder today, and unlike most I couldn't keep the temp up. It's finishing in the oven now. Close to sea level, followed the directions, as well as the hints I've accumulated here. Could humidity play a part?

Yeah, I had the regular and 3 butts or 4 briskets definitely required some extra drafting in the form of cracking the lid. I eventually installed a vent on the lid for more precise control.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta. Some times a piece of meat just has a mind of it own and an attitude.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, sometimes ya gotta wack it a couple times to get its attention.

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from St. Cloud, FL.

Comment

I use a small 1/4” diameter twig and just prop one side of the lid. A lot of moisture drops on the coals and it needs a little help.

Comment

• Thomassen
            Thomassen commented
            Editing a comment
            I do the same. Just need to keep an eye on temps so they don't spike.

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            +3

Hello from NW Oregon,

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Running to hot? put a couple of bricks on top, still hot? a little foil on rebar holes. Starting to drop? stick a stick under the lid.

Like Thomassen said, don't wander too far. watch the temps when doing this. It can and will take off in either direction.

PBJ, PBC, PBJ!

Comment

Yep. I have a PBJ, and a lot of juice and fat drip on the coals. Cracking the lid will do the trick.

Comment

Welcome, train yer meat well, eat good & have fun!

Comment

Welcome from Virginia! Dont have a PB, but there are a bunch of folks here who will help you for sure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here