Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decisions - Oklahoma Joe Bronco drum or Pit Barrel Cooker - I'm stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions - Oklahoma Joe Bronco drum or Pit Barrel Cooker - I'm stuck

I think I found, and read, all of the threads which mentioned the two of these together. I did find lots of good advice and instruction in some of these threads. I didn't find anything where folks were actually comparing these two alone. I read the reviews of both and am still undecided.

I want to add a charcoal/wood smoker alongside of my original purchase, the masterbuilt electric smoker and my gas grill. I can afford to purchase at the $500 price line, but would rather go with these at $300.

I would be cooking for 2 mostly and up to 15 or 20 maybe for holiday parties (3 maybe 5 times a year). I will offer to cook for the parties once I am satisfied with my cooks.

I am not one that must check temps all the time, but I do have a thermoworks smoke(?) with 2 probes so I don't worry too much about the control. I have no problem sitting and having a beer(s) while the smoker works.

I would like the ability for dry or wet rubs (I don't know if charcoal smokers are particular, assuming no?).

My deck is 10 feet off the ground and 30 feet long, so it can get windy. I may need a welder's blanket, or to build a box.

Right now, I can get the Oklahoma Joes local for $247. I have not found any PBC local, so the price there is $300 at least.

Ribs, Butts, Brisket, poultry (I definitely want to smoke a turkey at some point).

Although I will heed any advice from these forums, I am pretty much focused in on the two in the title.

Help me spend my money!

EDIT: I forgot to ask - Is there an issue with long cooks and the charcoal in these drum smokers?

EDIT 2: Is the leaking grease still an issue? If so, I would have to make a purchase to protect my deck.

Last edited by Porkies; November 5, 2019, 12:11 PM.

Can't help on the barrel smokers.
    But you will be sorry for that last line!

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      I had the same thought as I typed it!

I have been reading threads about both, and looked at the Bronco both at Lowes and Walmart. I just watched the video on the Oklahoma Joe website, and one comment I have is that the Bronco has some nice features and versatility, but while it is physically larger than the Pitbarrel Cooker, I think it has less vertical clearance from the hangers to the charcoal, because they put an ash pan and grease catch cup in the very bottom, with the charcoal basket raised above that by 6 or 8 inches. While this probably makes the Bronco easier to clean, it also means your ribs are more likely to hit the charcoal when hanging.

This thread has a few posts that seem to indicate that the ribs will be very close to the charcoal when hanging, compared to a PBC:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-for-next-time

That said, the Bronco seems very well built, I like the heat diffuser but think if you smoke a lot of ribs, that the diffuser will have to go, and that you may also find that you have to cut the racks down to prevent them from being in the fire. Maybe it would be possible to hook them such that the ribs protrude above the level of the hook hanging bar, which would help. The lid has a good amount to height to it on the Bronco I looked at the other day at Lowes. Also, I think the steel the Bronco is made from will outlast the PBC which is made from a steel drum.
    Last edited by jfmorris; November 5, 2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, jfmorris, for the input and the link. I'm about to read it.

As a WSM I would like to chime in and say charcoal briquettes are the way to go for the average person. Think about it. With any good briquette you get a constant burn rate. Once you dial in your vents you can be fairly sure things aren't going to change. With lump or wood you introduce all kinds of variables. And with briquettes you only need a few chunks of wood to get the smoke flavor you want.

I know you didn't ask this but I feel briquettes are extremely versatile. You run out of wood chunks you can quickly restock at almost any home store. You forget to get pellets for a big cook over the weekend and you could be in trouble.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      I tend to agree. One can always add a few chunks to the charcoal.

Bunch of pbc fans on this site, including me, even though I don't have one. They are sold locally at Ace Hardware stores, so I have had my hands on one. I haven't looked as closely at the Bronco, but I took a real good look at the pbc, and it is pretty impressive. It was much heavier than I expected and looked really well built. I am not in the market for another charcoal cooker right now, but if I were, and my budget wouldn't allow for a fancier kettle or Adrenaline BBQ's kamado, I would take the pbc.

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw that ACE had them and am planning on making a trip to Springfield, or Tenn Ridge, which ever might have one in stock. I can see the OKJ here local but have not seen one outside the box. Always good to 'handle' an item before purchasing it.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      pbc, pbc, pbc,......

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP, the wife nixed the pbc unless I get rid of something. On the other hand, she gave the OK for a Camp Chef griddle - the P90X - so I'll have to be satisfied for the moment.

I have neither a PBC nor a OK Joe -- I do have another brand of barrel cooker. Because there are so many fans of the PBC here, most of the advice you'll find will be about the PBC. Nonetheless, the advice and experiences I've read are pretty much exactly transferrable over to my barrel. I interpret this to mean that, by-and-large, differences in how they cook across different brands and models are likely to be small. They're drums, after all. They may differ in height, or diameter, or the kinds of accessories that come standard, or how easy they are to move around, but basically they're drums.

I'd look for the capacity you need and quality of the build, then look for features that come standard. I wouldn't stress too much that you have Brand X when others have Brand Y.

(As an aside, I think this means that The Pit doesn't really need all the sub-categories it recently split into. In my experience, all drum cookers could go into one category since they all operate alike.)

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said! I agree that for the most part, experience with one charcoal cooker or drum smoker transfers to another.

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      Sound advice and reasoning RobertC Thank you.
      I mainly focused in on these two just because of their prices. After checking out their builds 'hands on', I may end up spending more.
      Last edited by Porkies; November 5, 2019, 02:50 PM.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Porkies WSM, WSM,

I know I don't mention it often here on the Pit pbc, pbc, pbc...but I do have a PBC and really like it for certain cooks. Brisket, chuckies, butts ribs, chicken, turkey. I also have a few Weber pbc, pbc, pbc... kettles so I do rotate what I cook in. I keep my Black Beauty in the garage when not being used and normally put the barrel - legs on a slab of slate and cook on grass. I haven't notice grease leakage but I would get something to protect the decking. pbc, pbc, pbc..... I would at a minimum get the ash catcher with the barrel and line the bottom with foil. During your search you must of come across the PBC channel, if not check it out if you decide to go that way. PBC, PBC, PBc...……...

Comment

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP , Thanks for the response. I did jump in the PBC channel for a few reads; all of them impressive when the cook and the story were both included.

Everytime I read one of your posts, I get this notion I must go out and get a PBC. I'm not sure why.......

The folks here love there PBC's but they had them before them before the Bronco came out. Basically they are pretty equal with the Bronco having the edge on heat control and other goodies for the same price. I had a PBC at one time and did not like it. If I were to buy that type today it would be the Bronco.

Comment

My apologies if you've already found this thread, but this sums up my thoughts:

Last Christmas Santa was awesome enough to bring me a PBC. I haven’t been at this outdoor cooking thing nearly as long as many of you. Started on my 22” kettle using a snake, joined AR a couple years ago, graduated to my 26” with SNS, and the PBC opened up new learnings and experiences for me (and the best damn poultry

Comment

• Porkies
        Porkies commented
        Editing a comment
        I either missed this, or it did not come up the way I built my search phrase... Thank you FishTalesNC going to read now.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea you two were really on the same wave length. I am interested in both your future comments.

I had forgotten about FishTalesNC recently getting a Bronco to replace the PBC - not sure he has cooked on it yet, since its technically a Christmas present!

If you like control over temperature, I think the nod goes to the Bronco. If you don't care and just want to get it done - the PBC may be the right cooker for you. I think its hanging capacity for longer stuff might be better as mentioned.

Personally, because I want more control, and need capacity to handle stuff like 6 to 8 butts at a time, I'm leaning towards a Weber Smokey Mountain 22" for my next cooker. With the Gateway 55 gallon drum hanger kit, the WSM 22 can hang stuff like the PBC, but with higher capacity (22" versus 18" diameter), and has air flow controls like the Bronco. But for me the crucial thing with the WSM 22 is the 2 levels of cooking grates that let me cook 6 to 8 butts for those times I have a big party. No matter how you hang stuff in a PBC its not going to hold more than 2 or 3. I think the Bronco only has one grate level, and is 18" in diameter like the PBC, so would be limited to 2 or 3 tops just like the PBC.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        A drill and 3 bolts will give you another level in the PBC. But yeah, you can put more in a 22" over 17".

All barrel cookers are limited. The Bronco is limited to two butts and 9 ribs. Plus it can be made into a nice grill for burgers that the PBC can't.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        You might could hang 3 butts like I do in the Pit Barrel. All smokers are limited.

That 22" WSM is a distant possibility but not completely out of the picture. It's price point is at the limit I will spend, but it does seem to have the best of the other two, right? The optional add-ons kill me haha! I am one of the folks that work out which truck i want, then find out who has it, and I go get it. When asked about options, I just point at the truck and say "I want that one, for this price".

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, something to be aware of is that the 22" WSM includes the cover in the box. So unless you decide to add a rib hanging add on it should have everything you need. I feel like the PBC at least leaves out accessories I would feel I had to buy like the ash pan, the hinged grate and a cover. The Bronco at least covers the ash pan that the PBC omits, and probably in a better way.

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        I view the PBC ash pan as a "nice-to-have", I have it for Junior and still end up getting out the shop vac every few cooks. I agree that the hanging grate should be standard. As far as the cover, Junior is wearing the cheap Weber 22" cover from Home depot, though if you live somewhere with actual weather you probably want something a bit more substantial.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I've posted often that my beef with the PBC Ash Catcher is that it allows the grease to run off and under it, making a mess. That requires me to continue to line the bottom of the PBC with a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. So byebye ash catcher. If you ever get a PBC, jfmorris , I'll send it to you.

Also you don't need to buy the hinged grate. Just get any 18 inch grate, take a cutting tool, and cut away half of the bars. Works perfectly. See the PBC Accessories sticky.

K.
        Last edited by fzxdoc; November 6, 2019, 08:19 AM.

I gotta tell ya, the 22" Weber Smokey Mountain is getting to be my go to cooker, as well as my 18". Features for each are;

1) I've installed fan ports on both so my Fireboard/Pit Viper Fan runs them at temps anywhere your heart desires, from 200* up to 400*.
      2) There's a built-in probe port, one part of which you shove your ambient grate probe into without having to run that wire into the cooker.
      3) Dual flat grills with the option of a water pan (which I ditched a long time ago).
      4) I have the Hunsaker hanging rack accessory which allows you to cook in a vertical fashion like a PBC.
      5) Has a large access door that allows you to re-fuel or dump wood chunks into the fire without lifting the top lid or messing with your food.
      6) Vent controls that allow fine tuning if you don't want to do fan control.
      7) I've installed wheels so they are easily moved around.
      8) Barrel comes apart for super easy access to the charcoal basket for both loading and cleaning.
      9) The top hinges so you don't have to physically remove it.
      10) Heavy enameled finish throughout; rugged and easy to clean.

I have nothing against the PBC, obviously a ton of folks on here love it. It's just I can do everything it can do and more with the WSM.
      Oh well, each to his own, I'm happy, glad you all are as well. Real interested in the OKJ unit. Price point sure is good.

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Troutman #9 you mention the lid hinges, did you mod your WSM with a hinge? Thank you!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea you can get them through several sources, I got mine on Amazon. The only problem is the Weber conventional cover will not fit over it. I had to buy aftermarket covers, but it was well worth it. The hinge is a must imo. Craigar

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Troutman for the info.

To be honest, lately I've considered selling my PBC and getting a OKJB, for what it's worth.

Comment

I bought a PBC last summer and I’ve been really happy with it. After a short learning curve, I’ve got it down to where it maintains 275-300 for ten hours with no adjustments. Not sure how much longer it’d hold temps because I haven’t had anything take more than ten hours.

I think an important thing to consider is supporting a good company making a quality product. The PBC folks really pride themselves on making sure their customers are happy. They also do a lot for veterans and police/firefighters. I think the whole American mindset of buying something at the big box store because it’s a little bit cheaper than a quality product from a small company is the reason that so few products are built to last anymore. I’m not saying to only buy from small businesses, but to me it’s worth an extra $50 to support a small business that takes pride in their work and truly cares about having happy customers.

Comment

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m a WSM guy, but I would agree about PBC. From what I’ve seen they’re good people to do business with.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here