Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permission to buy one. Looking at WSM or PBC or other suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permission to buy one. Looking at WSM or PBC or other suggestions.

Well this should be an interesting thread. I got permission to buy one larger cooker to go out on the patio next to my Trail Master Ceramic Egg. My egg has a small cooking grate at only 16 inches so I have to fold an average sized brisket to get it to fit inside the dome until it renders down some. I was originally going to go with the WSM 22.5, but I have been seeing a lot more videos out in regards to the way that the PBC cooks. In fact Harry Soo just released one on doing ribs on the PBC which was nice to see since he is a hardcore WSM pitmaster. I myself have cooked on an 18 inch WSM, but I want the increased cooking space thusly the 22.5 WSM or the PBC. Thoughts and suggestions.

Edit- After much deliberation and talking with a friend of mine in the area I pulled the trigger. I am getting the PBC with the US Army Logo Plate.
    Last edited by AverageJoe; May 24, 2019, 10:40 AM.

here is an idea of space for the wsm 22, and of course there is still the bottom rack to use!
    I don't think you can go wrong with pbc or wsm, ive only used the wsm and love it, it pretty versatile as well, you can do many variations of grilling/smoking. im sure someone will chime in who has both smokers, good luck and have fun with your new purchase!
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm not one to discourage someone from adding to their collection. It's just plain fun to have different cookers...period. I don't own a WSM. However, I believe you can get a rack for your WSM to hang meats and thus mimicking the PBC capability.

Comment

I have a wsm 22.5 and accessing the bottom rack has always been an issue for me. If you are set on getting a bullet/ud cooker either one will work as well as the other. Although I am not sure of the ud diameter compared to the wsm. Am also not sure of how well insulated the coal pan is from the ground on the ud, for consideration of what you are setting on. These are some of the issues to consider.

Comment

If I had to pick between those two I think I would choose a PBC, mostly because it is more different than the Weber Kettles I normally use compared to the WSM. Although there is a used WSM and used PBC on FB Marketplace here and both of them would be less than the cost of one of them new...

Comment

• AverageJoe
            AverageJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            JoeSousa I just went to PBC website and they do first responder and military logo plates on them now as well for same price as the regular. Making an interesting choice. I also have a buddy that has a PBC and he has been doing home cured and smoked bacon in his PBC.....hmmmmm

• JoeSousa
            JoeSousa commented
            Editing a comment
            AverageJoe The one I am looking at has an Air Force plate on it. Guessing it is someone from the local Air Force base that is moving.

• AverageJoe
            AverageJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            JoeSousa yeah. I still ordered one. I would never live it down if I bought an Air Force one as I am an Army Vet lol

I have a WSM 22 and love having the real estate to use when needed. I recently used 2 rib rings and was able to cook 12 racks of St. Louis cut ribs on it simultaneously for a big crowd. I'm sure either will do just fine.

Comment

one hour and thirty nine minutes BANG! Another PBC joins the Barrelhead Club. PBC, PBC, pbc, pbc………..
            Last edited by HawkerXP; May 25, 2019, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the PBC family. Whatever you do, do not watch the temperatures. The PBC hates that.

Comment

Well I was going to suggest the WSM...because it's what I know.
                That said, everybody around here that owns a PBC seems to really like it. I have zero experience with one.

Enjoy your new toy!

Comment

I would have voted wsm too, but people here swear by the pbc. I know you will enjoy it.

Comment

• AverageJoe
                    AverageJoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I will more than likely get a WSM in the future. I was told that if I started a collection though I needed to buy my wife a larger house with land LOL

Can't go wrong with a PBC because it's so versatile and a heck of a lot of fun to cook on.

Did you order one, or are you still mulling it over, AverageJoe ?

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc I ordered it. I chose this one.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by AverageJoe; May 24, 2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• AverageJoe
                      AverageJoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      surfdog oh I won’t.

• surfdog
                      surfdog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh but wait! What's that funny star thing on there?!
                      Doesn't look anything like an eagle with anchor to me. LOL

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very nice. Congrats on your purchase! You're going to love smoking on your PBC.

Kathryn

I have a PBC, a WSM 18, and a WSM 22. The WSM 22 is my go-to cooker for brisket. I've used the PBC for brisket, but one tore through the hooks and wound up on fire on top of the charcoal. That turned me completely off the PBC for brisket.

Plus I just like the rock-steady temps of the WSM for brisket, and the ability to add charcoal and wood mid-cook via the side door.

But looks like you already chose the PBC. Good luck.

Comment

• AverageJoe
                      AverageJoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      TBoneJack I wanted something that I had not used, $120 less expensive, was my main reasons. I will probably get a WSM in the future because I liked the 18.5 that I used to have. I always want to learn different cookers and how they work. So basically I also need to get an offset as well lol

• ColonialDawg
                      ColonialDawg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I use my 26 inch kettle for brisket.

I don’t think you’ll regret this decision - congrats! PBC, PBC, PBC, pbc...

Comment

Very nice purchase and thanks for your service.

When I saw the title I was going to give you permission to buy both. You still have my permission!

Comment

• AverageJoe
                        AverageJoe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        NapMaster I appreciate that LOL. I may end up doing that in the long run.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here