Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM verses PBC verses Gateway Drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM verses PBC verses Gateway Drum

I have been kicking around the idea a buying a PBC or a Gateway Drum, mainly to hang ribs but also to try other cooks based on all the positive things I hear about them. I looked at the Gateway drums yesterday at a local supplier and it doesn't seem like there is much of a true difference in capacity between them and the 22 inch Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) I already own. Curious to hear from some folks that have converted their WSM's over the hang meat and have done some side by side comparisons between it and a PBC or a Gateway Drum. Is it basically the same or is there an advantage to one or another based on how the air moves in the cooking chamber? I checked out the Hunsaker Vortex Charcoal Basket as an option and that seems like a nice set up so any experience with your WSM conversions would be appreciated as well. Thanks for your feedback and sharing your experiences.

I added a picture of the ribs I am cooking today because everyone likes pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-14-2019 ribs.jpg
Views:	2412
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	664311

I am pretty sure someone makes a hanging rack that fits the top of your WSM 22. With that installed, and the water pan removed, I think you can get the same results as the other drum smokers that hang the meat without spending cash on a new smoker.

Comment

• evollbrecht
      evollbrecht commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I have seen some from a few different venders. I can't imagine there is much difference between them.

I would get the PBC, cheaper and it works great. I am not really a firm believer in the "Vortex Charcoal Basket". My buddy has a Gateway and they are beasts but the basket didn't really do anything special. And the added cast of the extras really are not worth it. IMHO.

My other buddy has a 18" WSM and he hangs meat in their all the time, it tastes very similar to my PBC as he removes his water pan and allows the drippings to hit the fire.

If you are looking to add a smoker, I would go with the PBC, if you want to expand your versatility with the WSM, get the hanging rack and remove the water pan.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I would agree, that is why I mentioned, :"If you are looking to add a smoker, I would go with the PBC, if you want to expand your versatility with the WSM, get the hanging rack and remove the water pan." jfmorris

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok I am dumb Spinaker, and did not catch your meaning in that last sentence fully! Smoke on!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, no need for that. I was just pulling your leg, sir! jfmorris

Hunsaker Smokers makes a rack for hanging ribs in your WSM
    Last edited by Thom Emery; April 15, 2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• evollbrecht
      evollbrecht commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I saw that, considered their basket and their hanger to try it out but at that point I would to half way to the cost of a PBC.

I love my WSM bullets, they are my favorite smokers. If I was starting out fresh I would probably opt for the PBC for cost and versatility reasons. The whole barrel, bullet, drum design is basically the same for all of them.

Comment

• evollbrecht
      evollbrecht commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your feedback

Thought I would post the follow up picture of the ribs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-14-2019  - 2.jpg
Views:	2320
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	665228

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      That is rib-a-licious looking !!!

I have a WSM 22. It is solid and works well. I have a 55 gallon drum conversion that is solid and works well. The WSM has better temperature range and control for different cooks. But it is three pieces and kind of a hassle to move around (comps and such). Gateways are very nice. I am not a fan of the PBC due to size and temp control (I have had food cooked on one and it is identical to other drum type coolers though)

Comment

• evollbrecht
      evollbrecht commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your thoughts. The size of the PCB and the temp controls are also concerns that I have. It seems the more I think about stuff the more money I end up spending. I go from a $50 upgrade to a WSM, to a $300 PBC, to a $700 Gateway.

• JamieBBQ
      JamieBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I think if I could go back in time I would buy a Gateway. I think they are well built and the contest circle is very successful using them. I say buy the best your can budget can handle. In the end all three make great Q.

• Driverdan
      Driverdan commented
      Editing a comment
      I have an 18.5 WSM, a full size UDS, and a PBC. Been doing most recent cooks on the PBC, but yesterday's beef ribs cook was a total disaster! Wanted 250f for temp, but could not keep temps below 350! They dripped onto coals, as designed, but resulting fires charred meat and it was worthless in an hour and a half!, (Plus Meathead stated in beef ribs recipe to not remove membrane-- but it turned into a solid layer of plastic!!)
      Going back to my roots, the WSM.

Found an interesting video covering a side by side comparison smoking baby backs on a WSM and a PBC on YouTube from T-ROY COOKS. Interesting insight though there isn't much explaination. Perhaphs it has to do with the way the air moves in a PBC compaired to the WSM, t
    he way the air vents is quite different,
    or possible the orientation of the meat to the coals.

Comment

• BRic
      BRic commented
      Editing a comment
      The video was interesting , We have a PBC and we are very happy with it . The food that comes off the PBC is very tasty . In my opinion it is worth every penny . The
      PBC is a rib and chicken killer and also does a good job smoking Pork Butts and Briskets .

I have a decade old 18" WSM and have the Weber hanging rack for it and used to hang ribs in it quite often. Only reason I stopped a few years ago is because my KBQ became my ribs machine.

Personally, I don't see why there would be any significant functional difference between a PBC/WSM/UDS - they are all basically cylinders to hold meat and fire. The only cool thing (to me anyway) about a UDS is they are infinitely customizable and are great DIY projects. One slight advantage of a WSM over the other two is that you can buy a section that allows you to use a rotisserie if one desires.

Harry Soo uses a WSM and he has won many BBQ contest championships over the years. He says he settled on the WSM because it was easier for him to transport in his car. I think a WSM is also a lot easier to clean since it is sectional.

Comment

• evollbrecht
      evollbrecht commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts

A few thoughts....

Cost: One big reason I went with the PBC over the Gateway was price... I could own 2-3 PBCs for what you can get a large Gateway for with all the accessories... Although in the cool looks department... the Gateway wins hands down. If I was to get a Gateway I would consider the smaller barrel size.

Flavor: IMHO it is just hard to beat the flavor of Chicken off the PBC and ribs are right up there too... Of course taste and flavor are all personal preference but out of all the cookers I have and have used (stick burners, pellets, webers, etc...) chicken on the PBC is clutch!

Time: The cook times on the PBC are convenient... I can run a pork butt in 6-9 hours... as opposed to 12 on other cookers... I know the Gateway is set to go hot and fast as well.

If you haven't I recommend you read the article at the link below where Meathead and Doc Blonder talk about the PBC and what makes it unique.... as opposed to it being basically a cylinder that holds fire and meat.

Take a look at the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC), an amazing smoker and grill. We give you all the tips, tricks, and techniques you need to get the best bbq out of it.

That all being said... they all have their positive and negatives...

2 things I detest about the PBC: 1. Fuel consumption... it is just hard to skimp on charcoal usage. 2. If you have to refill it mid cook it is a pain in the butt.

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      RobertC - I've never bought into that hype either. The PBC is not a custom designed can, they chose that size because it was a canister size already commercially available and was smaller and cheaper to ship than a 55 gallon drum thus fit within their price point. Absent any actual fluid modeling of the various grills I'll remain skeptical that there is any special "woo" happening vs. a WSM or UDS similarly arranged (hanging meat).

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      If barrel size were that critical then you'd think there'd be discernible differences between cooking 2 chickens and 1, or 2 spatchcocked chickens vs. 1 whole chicken, or a chicken hanging in the center vs on the side. I think the barrel is more robust than that because load, shape, and placement isn't critical, so the blockage effect is probably minimal, so barrel diameter is probably not magic.

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it's pretty obvious that barrel size is of minimal (if any at all) relevance when PBC started selling the PBC Jr.

I guess the magic extends to another size of commercially available canisters.

I have a PBC, WSM 18, and WSM 22. Which do I like the best? It depends upon which day you ask me.

If I was doing competition (thankfully I'm not), the WSMs would win hands down. They can cook direct, indirect, with water, without water, and can serve as a grill. Plus, they have two grate levels, and an access door for easily adding more fuel and wood chunks. And they are much more easily controlled as far as steady temperatures are concerned. They have a cult-like following, with numerous after-market accessories, some of which allow you to hang food on hooks over the coals just like the PBC. I use my WSM 22 every year to cook two briskets for our annual BBQ at work. With my BBQ Guru DigiQ DX3 temp controller, I sleep all night like a baby, never worried about the long unattended cook.

But if I had to pick one of the three, it would be the PBC. It's much simpler than the WSMs to set up, cook food, and clean up after the cook.

The truth is, I love all three, and I'll always have them. They each serve a purpose at my house, albeit at different times and in different situations.

I hope the PBC company comes out with a 55-gallon version soon.
    Last edited by TBoneJack; April 18, 2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• evollbrecht
      evollbrecht commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, good to hear from someone who owns both a WSM, or two, and a PBC.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here