Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost succeded in a new purchase (flat top)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost succeded in a new purchase (flat top)

So the initial MAK purchase was sold to the wife as a do it all device (knowing I had a propane backup with my Big Easy, Smoker Roaster Grill). The MAK does better than I expected at grilling though it's not as fast to get to temp and does benefit from a cast iron pan or grill grates to get a great sear.

I love breakfast, the wife rarely wakes up in time for brunch let alone breakfast on the weekends which is the only time we would use such a device. My dad had one of those fancy gas ovens with a flat top (bacon griddle) built in that I loved using and didn't mind cleaning and
    I've been eying a Camp Chef or Blackstone flat top even before I got the MAK, but I knew I couldn't risk brining it up around the time I got my smoker considering the price.

Anyway, I was watching a video (thanks to Facebook knowing what you want before you know it) of someone cooking something on a Blackstone and she's like "that would be great for hash browns" and of course I agreed. We watched a few more videos, all of which were focused on the cooking surface, the final video zoomed out and she realized this would be something that would take up deck space. Her enthusiasm immediately changed. Supposedly, if it was something that went on the MAK she was ok with it, but as a stand alone device it was an absolute no...

So I'll probably buy one sometime this year

MAK does make a griddle insert that replaces one of the grates, and I'll probably get one of those first... but long term one of the 3 burner flat tops makes the most sense since propane is a bit cheaper than pellets for the usage we would have. I'll sneak it in at some point. I'm sure a perfect breakfast or Mongolian bbq type meal with zero cleanup for her will minimize my sleeping on the couch.

If you've read this far though, I do have a question. Is there an option other than Camp Chef or Blackstone I should be adding to my list of brands to consider? If you have a pellet grill, is there an accessory I should consider over MAK's proprietary option for the mid term?

I have had fun with a baking steel griddle. Maybe not as big as the blackstine but I wouldn’t use it enough to justify it either.

Comment

I promise no to tell your wife - for a small fee...

Comment

Go for the brass ring. Find a place off the deck and show that it can fit there. Not that it will be permanent of course, once you've secured it you can find a place on the deck and work it towards there. Keep an eye out for a sale, and go for the 28 as it is just you and the Missus I presume. Once you get it cook on it for her religiously until she realises it is something you could have never lived without. In the mean, keep watching those videos in her presence.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          to be honest, long term I do plan on pouring a patio off our deck and incorporating a built in kitchen of some sort... but the current deck won't suffer from the presence of any size flat top in the price range I'm looking at. I still think the selling point is no mess for her to clean up, so I plan to get breakfast on the menu repeatedly for the next 2ish months and well darn there's so many pans involved in all that And of course I'm sure FB will continue to pound me with flattop vids

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          You are so devious I would think I personally coached you. I'm confident you'll have that griddle in six months time.

I've seen something from blue rhino at Lowe's. No idea if its worth a crp.

Comment

You done good. You planted the seed

Comment

I can smell the bacon and hash browns already! Good luck!

Comment

Spinaker has posted a sale on Lodge griddles....https://shop.lodgemfg.com/griddles-a...ll-griddle.asp

Comment

Yeah, I suppose one could, conceivably, make Breakfast on a Blackstone...

How many pots, pans, skillets, stovetop, countertop, range hood, etc. would I have had to clean, doin this inside???

Jus Sayin...

Comment

ItsAllGoneToTheDogs based on this thread and what you said over where I was discussing my new gas grill, your wife doesn't like the "complexity" of the pellet rig. That Big Easy you've got - I'll hazard a guess you are not using that to smoke anything since you go the MAK. Why would you? My suggestion is this. Get rid of the Big Easy. Its not an effectively sized grill, and you no longer need its smoking/roasting capability. Then you have a spot on the deck for something else!

Personally, if you also want a device that doubles as a conventional grill, for those hot and fast cooks, and can griddle as well, AND that your wife might use (horizontal row of knobs like the stove!), think about something like one of the Weber Spirit 200 or 300 grills (unless you find a Genesis on clearance like I did!), and you can always toss a griddle on top of the grates, or use Grillgrates, etc. I think the flat tops are cool, but I've had excellent success griddling on my gas grill (and even my Performer with the Drip 'N Griddle). You either do the GrillGrates flat side down, buy the special griddle plates those guys offer, or toss a Lodge griddle or something like that down on top of the grates.

You might find that the MAK griddle option does what you want, but as you point out, it will probably take more time to get to temperature than a gasser would. Physics says that the limited size of that firepot can only produce so many BTU's, and 2, 3 or 4 gas burner tubes below the griddle just crank out a lot more BTU's. That goes for a flat top or a conventional gas grill with a griddle on top of the grate.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                    ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The BESRG is useful, it's easily transported, cooks a damn good bird, etc... It grills pretty good too, but the wife is special sometimes... because the gas control is vertical and you have to (should) take out the basket before grilling, it's too complex. Gas grills are supposed to operate like an oven according to her. A standard a gas grill is out of the question, the MAK is supposed to be the sole grill in her mind, that's why the flat top will work... it's not a grill to her

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here