Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Barrel Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Barrel Smoker

Hi: Thought I would post some pictures of the barrel smoker I just finished.
    It has two 22.5 inch weber grills and a lower place for a water pan.
    It is controlled by an Auber temperature control and can maintain an even temp of 200 deg for 12 hours no problem.
    My charcoal basket is 20 inches in diameter and is 6 inches high. Will hold a ton of charcoal.
    I have 3 hanging rods for smoking things like sausage.
    All together I think I spent 250.00 maybe.
    and it works Great!

Drum cost me 20.00
    The welding for the hinge , basket and chimney was 35.00.
    Auber temp control, ( I have one for my Acorn Cooker), I needed the fan and extra temp probe. That came to 66.50.
    Add another 100.00 for the complete unit.
    The lid clamps were 7.17 each = 14.34
    2" temperature gauges were 8.78 each = 17.56
    6, 1/2 inch pipe caps for the rod holders .35 ea = 2.10
    2, Side handles 6.00 ea, = 12.00
    Paint 8 cans high heat @ 6.00 ea= 48.00
    2, 22.5 inch grills 16.00 ea, = 32.00
    So ball park total is $ 247.50
    And I have to say I had a great time putting it together.
    Also one caveat I had this built in Mexico. Labor is cheaper.

That is one sexy UDS Mr. HG!

Comment

• mayapoppa
      mayapoppa commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that a SDS?

Sweet, halfglass ! Let us know how it cooks when you take it out for its maiden run!

What's the size of the drum (gallons)?

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
      What's the size of the drum (gallons)?
      It's pretty much got to be a 55 gallon drum for those 22.5" Weber grill grates to fit ...

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought so, MBMorgan, but the photo made it look smaller. I guess my eyes were playing tricks.

K.

Thanks for the good words. The barrel is a 55gal.
      Cooking some country ribs today.

Comment

halfglass, That is one Sharp Look'n Rig! If your Ribs turn out to be as good as your Smoker Looks you are going to have to build a fence
        To Keep the Neighbors Away!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

That is beautiful!!!!!

Comment

Super nice!!!

Comment

Great looking rig halfglass ! Good luck with the maiden cook.

Comment

Awesome engineering!

Comment

Excellent work - that's a sweet rig. Enjoy!

Comment

Congrats on that GORGEOUS rig!

UDS is GREAT! You will be friends all over the neighborhood. If you feel like you want, you can do what we ho. I have a standing offer, on first come, first serve basis. when I smoke, I'll accept 3 butts from neighbors. several folks keep meat in the freezer waiting for the day I cook. sometimes I get in trouble on Bacon day cause they wanted to know why I didn't announce the cook (they all know I cook overnight)

Having something with space, and a UDS has some, can be a great way of meeting the neighbors and making friends with them!

Comment

• halfglass
                      halfglass commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Karon for the great idea. I have some neighbors who would do that.

Am cooking a load of ribs tomorrow, will pot some pictures.
                      Halfglass

• Karon Adams
                      Karon Adams commented
                      Editing a comment
                      one other thing, if you are accepting meat from the neighbors, that meat mass also helps even the temp in the pit. not that a rig that tight needs much regulating.

Wow, what a great grill/smoker. You sure did it right!! Congrats on a great job.

Comment

That's nice work.....I really like the large, locks you installed

Comment

halfglass , that looks GREAT! How are the cooks going?

Happy?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here