Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another entry in the barrel cooker wars...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another entry in the barrel cooker wars...........

Just stumbled across this a bit ago; Pit Boss® Vertical Barrel Charcoal Smoker, Mahogany - PBV24CB | Pit Boss® Grills (pitboss-grills.com) Shows out of stock, but that might just mean they haven't gotten them in yet and are setting up for sales later this year. Similar air management to the Bronco, and at 22" on the grate width it would be competition for the Bronco Pro, or the products like Gateway or Hunsaker. It took a little digging, but the advertised weight is 147 lbs. which is above the approximately 100 lbs. of the Gateway, and below the weight of the Bronco Pro at 170 lbs. Looks like some nice features on the three grates and the side door to refuel, though with a fuel bin that big you'd think it should be able to go upwards of 20 hours on a decent fill and light method. Looks like it's been available in Europe for a while, but I couldn't find any reviews. There is a short YT video: (5) Pit Boss Champion Charcoal Barrel Smoker - YouTube

Thanks for the temptation Uncle Bob. We can always count on you for that 😂. But at $839 I'm sticking with my PBC.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Uncle Bob you went for the more expensive option because, as I have pointed out before, you are indeed a rapscallion and corrupting influence. An evil genius to be sure! 😂

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you hoovarmin, those are the nicest descriptions I've received today.....

• Livermoron
      Livermoron commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm so tempted to get a PBX and so don't need anything that size...

To much money, too much fluff and stuff for me in a UDS. I wish they would stop trying to make a smoker that doesn't need frills into something with frills. These are now way too heavy. You can't just move them around any more. Now they need wheels or a cart to be moved.

To me, the thing about the UDS realm and barrel smokers in general is they are simple. Few to no moving parts, no diffuser plates, multiple racks, side shelves, stacks, gaskets etc. The way I see it, it is just more stuff to wear out, break, rust or make the cook more complicated than it needs to be. The UDS is dying, bring it back to basics.

Another reason I am a fan of the PBC. One damper on the bottom, some rebar, hooks and a basket. (one rack if you want it) Done. And they are light weight compared to these bloated barrel smokers they are coming out with now.

*This reminds me of the electric can opener........what was wrong with the manual one? That is one thing that never needed to be electrified.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      One of life's greatest joys is grabbing your PBC and loading it up in the back of your truck to go camping, or to go cook for someone at their house, or to smoke something while you are shooting clays to be enjoyed later at the gun club. The new barrels are too heavy for that. At least for me.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      It's fine to keep using a no frills PBC or UDS if that's what you prefer. Those aren't going away. And most people don't usually carry around their smoker of choice, so I don't think the weight of the wheeled drum smokers is really a consideration.

I just enjoy cooking on my Bronco Pro, and I don't think of it as any particular type of smoker. It's just another < $1,000 cooker that puts out good 'cue.

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      This is why I own both a PBC and a Bronco Pro. The PBC transports easy. The Bronco has some other advantages. Someday all the cookers will be in one place, so not having any more duplicates than necessary is a plus. The thing on the Pit Boss I'd be interested in is that hanging rack. I wonder if it would fit the Bronco?

Well one thing OK Joe's and Pit Boss are doing is moving us from saying UDS into saying PDS (Pretty Drum Smokers). Good lookin' cooker but geeze, that price?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I fail to see the connection there. The KBQ simplifies a learning curve to the stick burner world. It is small but has a huge capacity for the foot print. Only frills on that thing are the thermostat and the fan. Still gotta add wood manually. Shelves, 3 racks, a stack, $899 price tag for a churched up barrel smoker is far different. IMHO.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I think this illustrates my point well. We all have different things that matter to us and dictate value vs nonsene, depending on how we view it personally. I don't intend to buy either device, but I bet you there's 1,000 people that would never buy the Yoder I have. As Jimmy McGill would say "Saul Goodman!"

• Livermoron
      Livermoron commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotta say...I love my KBQ. Suits this California boy well when I need to go high end and show off...

The Smackdown continues, lol

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Just wait till I chime in defending the Bronco, and all it’s "moving parts"???

Hey Spinaker You know, you’re absolutely right, who needs all those silly "frills" the
    Bronco has……😁

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...21#post1264821
    Last edited by Panhead John; September 1, 2022, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Who knows where the market will go, or if this Pit Boss offering will succeed, but competition always improves the breed to the consumer’s benefit.

Comment

Big nope from me. Sealing that door would be a challenge, 3 grates? No thanks, hate taking meat/grates out to manage the cook. Price is too high.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here