Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More pics of whiskey barrel smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More pics of whiskey barrel smoker

Some people wanted to see more pics. I added some steer horns . Put holes in them to let smoe smoke out, just for looks. Have 3 grates in it. The fire box is up about 2 inches above the bottom I put about 1 inch of water in bottom when smoking
    Attached Files

I love the horns with smoke coming out of them. Very clever.
    It's a sweet setup. How does it hold temperature?

Comment

So far it's been good , been able to hold 200 to 250. Burnt for several hrs. Finding easier to control temp with amount of charcoal and leave air tubes open , still playing with that

Comment

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        Controlling temperature with charcoal is not unheard of but isn't getting at the charcoal a pain in the neck?

I have any old dual fuel (charcoal\propane). It was cheap. I have massive air leaks on the charcoal side that I'm trying to seal up.
        It works kind of, but just barely...

Do you have a grill or something to use for searing?

The charcoal burns a long time, on my practice burns it went six hours and still burning. I read a thing that I think meathead posted on charcoal, to make a donut of unlite charcoal put the lite charcoal in the middle of donut. As the middle goes out it lights the outside. Still learning on the charcoal . It's a cold smoker to.i have a pan I put on the second grate that covers half of it. I put charcoal in to do burgers or sear with
      . Still learning that to.
      If it's a wood barrel they say fill them with water every 6 months and let set a couple days to swell the wood up

Comment

• Allon
        Allon commented
        Editing a comment
        Fill it with water. I would have never thought of that.

Very Cool

Comment

Very cool!

"If it's a wood barrel they say fill them with water every 6 months and let set a couple days to swell the wood up"

I have small barrel for aging whiskey in. Recommended not to let it sit dry... You might want to watch to see if you need to add water a little more often (especially for the first year).

Enjoy

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been wanting to do the whiskey barrel aging thing, I've got a few bottles of Buffalo Trace set back to work with, but I heard some stories of people having too much (or all!) of their whiskey evaporate! I would cry too hard, I haven't had the guts to try it. <sigh>

• Milo Beers
          Milo Beers commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks I will

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I can verify that with the whisky aging barrels they split if they sit dry. I had a nice one that I neglected and it split

Love it, Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very, very cool. Thanks for posting.

Comment

This thing is way cool!

Comment

That's a cool smoker. Very nice

Comment

That's crazy awesome!

Comment

Amazing! What a great looking smoker, horns and all.

Show us some of your cooks on it when you get a chance, and if you have the time.

Kathryn

Comment

Hole chicken today
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Allon
                      Allon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It looks so tiny compared to the massive amount of cooking space.
                      Did you use a rub?

A little not much

Comment

That is one cool looking cooker! It must be a barrel of fun for you!

Comment

• Allon
                        Allon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Roll out the barrel!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here