Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used a Barrelhouse Cooker? (very similar to a PBC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that PBC is a veteran-owned company carries considerable weight with me as well.

Comment

I have a Pit Barrel, my dad had a Barrel House, so I have experience with both. Each has flaws and strengths, but each makes great food. The lawsuit has been settled so I'm agnostic as far as that goes. I like my Pit Barrel accessories better, I think my Pit Barrel is better finished and more robust and will probably last longer. I like the Barrel House's vent better, the wire handles stay cool so you don't need a glove to take the lid off, the Pit Barrel H-frame is easier to deal with when you're doing a large cook like a turkey than the rebar on Pit Barrel. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Comment

• RobertC
        RobertC commented
        Editing a comment
        Very cool. How long have you had your PBC, how long has your dad had a BHC? (I presume your dad's is the 14" size?)

• TheQuietOne
        TheQuietOne commented
        Editing a comment
        I've had my PBC about three years. Dad has the 18" and had it BHC since last Spring.

I am 75 ,orginal i am from north east Alabama and my grandfather and BobGibson were friends,on weekends they did cookouts to make money and to feed the family,every one had what we called a burnbarrell to burn just trash,he had one that both ends were burnt out,on a windy day him and bob set it over the coals in the open pit and cooked some chickens ,i was only around 10 but i remember them hanging from wire,may have been barbed wire ,i dont recall,later on my grandfater was a pitmaster in the restraunt and my aunt mattie mae was a pie lady...saying all this to go to the story i was in a wal mart and saw the barrell house cooker on sale,bought it to cook a turkey for christmas,...it did a great job,i then ordered all the accesories they make and have used it a lot......it was at some time i read about the lawsuite no doubt they borrowed the idea fron pit barrell as barrell house was under contract to help make them...not good....i do like the barrell house over all ....i also cook over a green egg ,a pk orginal,a weber gas ,and am picking up a lang stick burner next week......very much like my 360 griddle also..i grill a lot and give it away in my neighood,just to get a reaction....i like to grill

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Very good memories and thanks for sharing them. Welcome to the Pit.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I want to move to your neighborhood.

Kathryn

I lost all interest in PBC once they moved production to China.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        castironchris yes, unfortunately, while Pit Barrel Cooker Co. is an American veteran owned company, to be competitive, their current production is in China. If I had to guess, it moved when they went from a powder coated finish, to a porcelain finish. I know their initial production was powder coated, and they sandblasted the barrels themselves prior to the coating, up in Kentucky.

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        They moved production of the barrels to China a couple years ago.

• castironchris
        castironchris commented
        Editing a comment
        That's pretty interesting when everything is taken into account.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here