Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
See more
See less

BarrelHouse Vertical Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob's BBQ
    Club Member
    • Jan 2016
    • Wisconsin

BarrelHouse Vertical Cooker

Has anyone seen any info on this yet? I saw the add on the AmazingRibs home page. Looks like a slightly smaller dia. PBC with a few nice gadgets. Any plans to review one? I have a PBC and this looks like they copied it, but I don't know much about the company.

https://www.barrelhousecooker.com/
  • JeffJ
    Charter Member
    • Feb 2015
    • Michigan
    • Jeff

A thread was created a few months ago about this product. It garnered quite a few comments but little substance as no one who opined owned one or knew anyone who owned one. Yes, it looks very similar to a PBC and it probably functions similarly.

Have you seen the $100 Po Man Grill (Cooking in a can)?

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I did see the Po' Man. Almost bought one just to have for a conversation piece!

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I did go back and find the original post. Didn't realize they had business dealings with PBC and there was a lawsuit in process. Thanks Jeff!
  • Nate
    Charter Member
    • Apr 2015
    • Quarantined
    • INFO
      ~Known as: Nate
      ~Location: Cornfield in Southwestern Indiana
      ~Credit Manager for an Agriculture Coop.

SMOKERS & GRILLS
      ~Grilla Original Grilla
      ~Char-Broil Commercial Tru-Infrared Gas Grill
      ~Pit Barrel Cooker
      ~Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical Offset Smoker
      ~Weber Kettle 22.5" Original
      ~Weber Q1000

THERMOMETERS
      ~Thermoworks Thermapen MX4
      ~Thermoworks Thermapen
      ~Thermoworks ThermoPop
      ~Thermoworks ChefAlarm TX-1100-XX (Orange and black)
      ~Thermoworks DOT TX-1200-XX (Black)
      ~Thermoworks IR-Gun-S Industrial Infrared Thermometer
      ~Maverick ET-733
      ~Maverick XR-50

ACCESSORIES
      ~Stanley T-Stak mobile tool box for BBQ Supplies
      ~Slow 'n' Sear
      ~Drip 'n' Griddle
      ~Weber Rapid Fire Chimney Starter
      ~Pro-Series Probes for Thermoworks
      ~Humphrey's Rib Spatula

DRINKS
      ~Sweet Tea
      ~Bourbon
      ~Craft Beers or whatever is in your fridge

Here is the link to the BHC thread that was running just last month.

There is a link inside that thread that will lead you to the lawsuit filed by PBC against BHC. I would recommend reading both it and the thread to get a better grasp of what is going on with that situation.

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Nate - I read the lawsuit. Does anyone know where this currently stands? Waiting for a court date?
  • David Parrish
    Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
    • May 2014
    • Charlotte, NC
      • Slow 'N Sear Kamado (SnSK)
      • Lots of grills that work with Slow 'N Sear
      • LOTS of digital thermometers (my fav)
      • LOTS of accessories
      • Favorite Beer - Fat Tire
      • Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve
      • Favorite White Wine - Cakebread Chardonnay
      • Favorite Red Wine - Yes, Please
      • President/Owner - SnS Grills

I talked to Pit Barrel Cooler Company last night and got an update on the status of the lawsuit. They stated that Barrel House Cooker reached out to them in an attempt to settle the lawsuit but the attempt was unsuccessful. PBC is proceeding with litigation towards a jury trial.

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the update. I actually thought this was a clear copy of the PBC when it first came to market, and now that I've read the complaint...wow. I hope everything works out for Noah and Amber.

• Bob's BBQ
      Bob's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dave - I wish Amber and Noah best of luck!

• Lowjiber
      Lowjiber commented
      Editing a comment
      They're going to need it.
  • RobertC
    Club Member
    • Mar 2017

I have one. I'm not sure I would have purchased it if I'd read that lawsuit document before but I have it now. The main reason I got it was that my family is small and, with one about to leave for college, getting smaller. The BHC has about 60% of the volume and grill surface area of the PBC.

It has some differences and nice features compared to the PBC. Here are three of the nicest:
    1. You can detach the base, making feeding and clearing the charcoal basket easier.
    2. The charcoal basket has a tall collar with a charcoal grate set at about two-thirds of the way down the collar. This means there's a deep side to the basket and if you flip it over, there's a shallow side that holds about half the charcoal.
    3. After detaching the base, you can place a grate just inches above the charcoal basket so you can sear after slow cooking.

There are a few other differences from the PBC but these were the biggest for me.

If I'd known of the lawsuit I think I might've gone for the smaller WSM -- purely on size alone, I didn't think the 18" PBC and the 14" BHC were direct competitors for my purposes so buying the BHC wasn't "stealing" a sale away from the PBC.

Comment

• Cheef
      Club Member
      • Oct 2015

I suppose I will play devils advocate here. I personally believe PBC will be looking at a hard time litigation wise. Too many loopholes for knockoffs to slither through. Drum cooking has been around forever I believe. Patent and copyright protection is known as the Game of Kings in some circles. It is a sure way to lose money in an effort to stroke pride. I do wish PBC luck.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        I would recommend reading all the comments above plus the comments in the othe thread that are linked. Much more to it than just knockoff.

• Cheef
        Cheef commented
        Editing a comment
        As I said it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
        I still play devils advocate and say it will be a loser for PBC.
        Edit. I did read the allegations in the suit. Still believe they will lose. I don't believe either party is totally in the right OR in the wrong. BUT opinions are like a.......s. so there you go. I do hope I'm wrong.
        Last edited by Cheef; March 29th, 2017, 02:25 PM.
    • RobertC
      Club Member
      • Mar 2017

IANAL but it appears the lawsuit isn't about infringing design patents or copyrights. It appears to be about unfair business practices. If so, the designs could be completely different and the alleged behavior could still be wrongful. Of course, we've only seen the complaint and, as my mother-out-law liked to say, "no matter how thin the pancake it still has two sides."

That said, I've seen (but never cooked on) a PBC. I appear to be the only one here who admits to owning the BHC.

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        How well does the BHC cook?

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        If I own a BHC i would admit to it but I don't
    • RobertC
      Club Member
      • Mar 2017

JeffJ As I've said, I've seen but never cooked on a PBC so I can't really compare to it in a detailed way -- but the BHC works pretty much as I imagined a smaller version of the PBC would work when I got it.

It ran hot for the first couple of cooks but has been much more consistent over the last couple of months as I experimented more. Because the volume is smaller, I had to learn how to scale down the lighting procedure and play with the exhaust ports. I snake the temperature probes through the exhaust ports. I am getting better at dialing in a temperature within +/-5 deg, and holding it there for several hours.

I have done a 8-1/2 hour cook @ 260+/-5 deg loaded to full capacity (about 116 briquettes = 2.9 kg = 6.4 lbs) with fuel to spare. Eyeballing the charcoal basket I think it could've gone another hour and a half but that's just a guess. I haven't yet tested what would happen if the barrel were loaded with so much stuff that the air circulation might be affected. For reasons I don't yet understand, it hasn't quite been "set it and forget it" -- I have to fiddle with the exhaust ports after a few hours to keep it within target temperature range. It may be that I still need to refine my fueling technique and that it will become more steady over time.

The "H" frame they use as a substitute for the rebar in the PBC is kind of a pain -- because the BHC has only 60% of the surface area, having extra bars that criss-cross the top limits the size the item you can easily maneuver through the gaps. It turns out that if you're cooking something big it's easier to lift the whole damn thing, hooks and items still attached, than to try to squeeze the big item past the openings. You get 8 hooks with the PBC and only 4 with the BHC but 4 turns out to be about right since it's so much smaller.

You can detach the base from the "flue" and place a grill directly over the charcoal basket for searing. That's nice. Emptying the basket is easy, too, as would be refueling if I ever need to do that.

The lid seals well and I haven't yet gotten any leaks around it. I have the model with the hinged lid so it doesn't get too many stresses than might deform it, but we shall see over time. The hinge has two positions so you can leave the lid either tightly closed or slightly ajar. I haven't used the "ajar" position.

When I cook something for a short time, like tri-tip, I flip the charcoal basket over to the short side and use half of the normal load of charcoal.

We're a four-person family, soon to be three. When we entertain we usually only have only another three or four. For my needs a PBC would have been too much -- the smaller (or maybe the middle-sized) WSM was the alternative I was considering. I suppose when I get more knowledgeable about its idiosyncrasies I could attempt a larger group than that, but I don't have 25-person parties.
      Last edited by RobertC; April 5th, 2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Pit Boss/Manager
        • May 2014
        • central MI, USA
        • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Want a free bottle of whiskey? Check out my link to Flaviar.com, you join with it, we both get a $50 bottle free.

Smokers / Grills
          • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
          • PBC
          • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
          • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
          • Dyna-Glo XL Premium dual chamber charcoal grill
          • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
          • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
          • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
          • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
          • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
          • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
          • (7) Maverick ET-732s
          • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
          • (1) Smoke by ThermoWorks
          • (1) Signals by ThermoWorks
          • Thermapen MkII, orange
          • ThermoPop, yellow
          • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
          • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
          • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
          • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
          • Instant Pot 6qt
          • Anova Bluetooth SV
          • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
          • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
          • BBQ Dragon
          • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
          • Weber grill topper
          • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
          • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
          • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
          • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
          • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
          • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
          • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
          • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
          • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
          • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
          Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Thanks RobertC for giving us hands-on info about the BHC. I think we should focus forward on it and its strengths and weaknesses with cooking and forget the lawsuit. We'll let the judge & jury decide what's unfair or not. Copycats are everywhere, have you seen the Yoder Wichita and the Horizon Marshall? Or the Backwoods compared to Humphrey's, et al? How many brands of pens are there? It's just the nature of business to copy what works with minor differences, fair or unfair.

Comment

• SMOG MAN
          SMOG MAN commented
          Editing a comment
          I think on point Huskee, I agree.
      • JeffJ
        Charter Member
        • Feb 2015
        • Michigan
        • Jeff

Thanks for such an informative answer RobertC

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Space is limited to 400, secure your spot by booking early! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
        See more
        See less
        Working...
        X
        Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
        Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
        This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only $299 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen

The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. Don't accept cheap substitutes.  Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal .

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order