Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First smoke with my new Chubby 3400 did not go well.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlazar View Post

Don't rely on door temp gauge. Put a temp probe on 2nd or 3rd shelf near the middle.
    jlazar you're not kdding! I did use my probe instead of the installed thermometer. That thing was off a good 75°F!!

Comment

Watching this thread closely. I have a LSG cabinet coming hopefully next month.

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking forward to your postings with the LSG. Look for any LSG or youtube videos on your cabinet to get started. I took me about 3 cooks to learn how to control the vents on the chubby, but that is all. Start with a pork butt, a long cook that gives you time to play with the vents and is forgiving if you get too high. I learned a lot by playing with the vents during my burn-in.
        Last edited by jlazar; March 10, 2020, 09:29 AM.

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Using your fireboard and fan will make almost no learning curve. Start with the fireboard set to 225 and air control on the fan wide open. Leave other vent open until you get to about 175. Then close all vents and let the fireboard take control.

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        I usually run my water pan about 50% full. You can always add more later if it starts to get dry or if you need helping lowering the temp.

I sometimes set initial temp to 250 knowing the temp inside will drop initially when putting cold meat in. After you put meat in, reset to 225 target and it will settle in around that temp.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here