Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water pan & drip pan Backwoods Chubby G2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pan & drip pan Backwoods Chubby G2?

Ill be smoking my Turkey this year (spatchcocked) and using a drip pan to make the gravy. Do I need a water pan and a drip pan, or does the drip pan give the smoker enough moisture? Will there be too much moisture if I use both?

Your drip pan can also be a water pan. Just add water to it. If you are going to use thickener for the gravy anyway, there isn’t a problem.

Im using meathead’s ultimate turkey gravy idea, with a slightly different method for the turkey. I’m wet brining it, and I added a quart of orange juice along with some whole sage and rosemary sprigs to the salt water (all were boiled and it smells wonderful). Anyhow the gravy recipe here makes a thinner gravy, which is fine with me. In fact there will be more than enough to thicken some for people who want it.

Comment

I don’t know what you are cooking on. If it’s a ceramic the answer is no. If you normally use a water pan the answer is yes unless you add water to you drip pan.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope & yup, just as LA said.

I have a Backwoods BBQ Chubby G2.

So I was planning on making a variation of meatheads thin gravy so my drip pan will have liquid in it. Maybe Ill put a little but of water in the water pan and have the drip pan on my first rack and the turkey on my 3rd rack.

I also wanted to put my ham in there but I dont think Ill have room for 2 pieces of meat and 2 drip pans. Maybe Ill do the hame in the Weber withh my slow and sear.

Comment

I think I'd add turkey stock to the drip pan for added moisture, and to be sure maybe inject the bird? I'm injecting mine this year.

By adding stock, you're getting closer to gravy right off the bat.

Comment

Suggest drip pan with 50/50 mix Italian salad dre dressing/white wine. Add sliced onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms. By end of cook the drip pan is a nice broth with melt in ur mouth garlic & mushrooms. Can separate the fat by letting it sit for 20-30 minutes

Comment

I ALWAYS have water in my drip pan. it is easy enough to cook away when the cook is done. if you DON'T have water in it, you face the very real possibility that all of your precious dripping will simply cook down to carbon. and while lumpy gravy is bad, crunchy gravy is worse.

Comment

I did pretty well. Lil water in the water pan and I moved my ham to the Weber
              Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20181122_111659.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	609284

Comment

Our family Thanksgiving dinner was this past weekend ( kids all have their other families Thanksgivings ).
                  Turkey two ways: mine used @meatheadgoldwyn recipe from @amazingribs - two 12lb'ers cut down
                  to equal sized parts, the other oven roasted.

Sides: stuffing and gravy, sesame/soy/ honey sauteed green beans, sweet potato casserole, steamed cauliflower
                  with melted gruyere cheese, a really good fruit salad with vanilla yogurt, and course whole berry cranberry sauce.
                  Paired with Pinot noir from @splashwines . All sides were on the cook top & counter top for self-serve. No one
                  even wanted dessert after this! Later on, they had Blueberry/Cream Cheese Swirl bunt cake with Blue Bell
                  Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream & coffee.
                  "It was guuud!" - @bbqpitboys .

Name:	Sunday Turkeys - My Plate.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	772917
                  The oven roasted on smaller serving platter, the smoked on the larger platter.

Name:	Turkeys Two Ways - On Serving Platters.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	772918
                  Pulled the oven roaster breasts off & cut diagonally -> served each family member's plate with whatever
                  they wanted. The skin on the smoked was crunchy and filled with the Pecan/Hickory smoke flavour. They
                  were smoked on my Weber Kettle (22) with the SnS (Slow 'n Sear) using ACV and water in the channel.

Name:	Plate at the Bar Counter.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	772919

I can't wait to do his smoked turkey again on my new stick burner (Santa is bringing me one!!!)

Cheers!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here