Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical Smokers

Been thinking about bumping my game up with a new vertical charcoal smoker. I’ve been looking at the Lone Star grillz, Stumps, Humphrey and Backwoods.
    im sure their are many others out there but these are the ones I’ve been researching. So far I’m liking the Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.

If anyone has experience with any of these setups or brands please comment. I’m interested in their ability to hold temps, charcoal consumption and ease of use.

Look at pitmaker. Very similar to LoneStar. I prefer pitmaker myself, but you cant go wrong with either. Have a big cook comung up friday. Will be cooking on pitmaker custom trailer. Best there is, IMO.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing. At some point I want to do a outdoor kitchen. The Pitmaker looks a little better for this in terms of vertical smokers.

Just speaking on being insulated and being a vertical, it doesn't get more efficient than that.

Comment

I have a LoneStar offset. It’s outstanding in quality and craftsmanship. I would think their verticals will be just as impressive. And as Jerod Broussard said being insulated, you cain’t get more efficient than that.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        I seem to be leaning toward LSG’s. I’m hoping I can come up with a reason to make a trip to Houston for work so I can visit their shop...👍👍.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe it was Troutman that visited their facility and did a write up here in the pit.
        Chris and Amber from LSG are really nice and very helpful. If you have any questions or want something customized they are more than willing to help you get what you want.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...it-site-review Here's that review Dadof3Illinois

I’ve seen several vertical smokers at different competitions the past couple years. Thinking if they are gaining popularity in that segment they should be good for a novice home cooker.
      Its crazy how the prices vary so much between the different manufacturers for pretty much the same cooker.

Comment

I have a Cheap Vertical Offset and really like the concept behind it... like any other COS it has some minor issues with poor welds, thinner metal, door alignment, etc that I have done some mods to help...

I would love to have a quality built one.

Absolutely wonderful for having the drippings of something baste and flavor other meats or a pit of beans or whatever.

If you get one and you have an option for customization have them put more rack mounts in and get some extra shelves. IMHO with the factory mounts their either aren’t enough and/or the spacing is ever so slightly not enough... or there is more than needed and you could have done more food with more shelves.

Comment

I seriously considered a Backwoods Smoker but ultimately it just was not in my budget at the time. I ended up going with a Broil King Vertical Charcoal (they also have a gas version) smoker and I have been very happy with it.

Comment

I have a vertical insulated with removal stainless steel water pan, 4 shelves that can smoke 8 full pack briskets or 16 butts and I loved it. It just became to small for what I needed. I might sell if you really want to have one.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Too small? You must have a big family.

I had a vertical made by Arizona BBQ Outfitters. It was trailer mounted with a Santa Maria grill. One of the drawbacks was cooking multiple meats. You had to decide if you wanted pork dripping on your beef or beef dripping on pork. And if your cooking raw poultry with something else you have no choice but to put the poultry on the bottom letting everything else drip down on that.

Just so happens I cook multiple meats more often than not and appetizers that are coming on and off during the cook. So the vertical sat idle until I had a catering cook where ribs were the entree. It was a rib machine and I could put 28 racks of loin back ribs on at a time. My horizontal offset was and continues to be the workhorse with the most versatility.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a vertical camp chef gas smoker and it does a decent job but I want something that will impart a deeper smoke flavor. I don’t cook too many different meats at once, two at most. If I’m going to cook chicken it has to be cooked at a much higher temp than my beef or pork so it gets cooked on my kettle.

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for this comment - it's about what you learn AFTER you buy, and that's the best kind of comment there is...

Have you looked at gravity feed insulated cookers (Stumps, Southern BBQ, Assassin)?
            Have the Sourhern BBQ Limo jr and love it.
            Almost set & forget with benefit of wood chunks added below chute plus large capacity with 5 shelves.
            price similar to Lonestar offset verts

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
              Frozen Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Lone Star stick burners should easily get your temps up to 400+ even with sub zero outdoor temps with some good splits. Heck I can get my uninsulated horizontal to run that. Just takes a little more time and wood. Verticals push the heat even faster.

• learning pellets
              learning pellets commented
              Editing a comment
              WTH bbq guru, I’ve done cleaning burns at 400,
              350-375 is no problem, 350 is the temp used for initial burn off & seasoning. The Sourthern BBQ & Assassin are priced in line with other verts

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              Well JR I stand corrected.....it’s the backwoods that states cooking temps of 180-300.

Hi I just put a deposit down on a Humphrey's Quebd Box. I also looked very hard at Ironside Smokers. Ironside is out of Wisconsin. May be drivable for you?

Comment

Well for your existing budget for the lone star mini, you certianly have options! I’m assuming that at the $2700 level, you are subject to "but $100 more" syndrome. That is how I went from looking at a Camp chef pellet to buying a Primo XL, and how I went from looking at Weber Spirit grills to replace my aging gasser to accepting that I am going to buy a Napoleon Prestige Pro 500RSIB. But $100 more and....well I’m sure you know about that.

So....you are almost at some nice similar size gravity fed verticals. That have a water pan with a float switch that automatically refills itself, along with a nifty valve to empty it. Just saying

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here