Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help on Backwoods Smoker 4 newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help on Backwoods Smoker 4 newbie

Hello Grillmasters, Im new to cooking on my brand new Backwoods Chubby 3400. Im under the gun to put out some St Louis Ribs for a July 4th Memorial celebration 4 my Pops who recently passed. My first cook last weekend I did a combo Chicken on the top with 2 slabs of ribs below. Both meats were cooked perfect doness and A+, but Im worried about loading all 4 racks with ribs because the temp really fell off from top to bottom of cabinet. Close to 20 deg. Im thinking rotating the shelfs every hour or so??? Any help and experience would really be appreciated. Thanks and may your Happy 4th cook be the best!

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Are you doing them 321 style?

Comment

Cuz if ya want swap them around after three, that’s how I do it on my offset, though it’s side to side

Comment

Watching your grill temps and rotating sounds like a good strategy!!! Welcome to the Pit!!!

Comment

with 8 racks im thinking 250 and skip the wrap, because the last cook was so moist i lost most of my crunchy bark after a 45 minute wrap so im going without it and think a circular rotate and a teeak or two. if they dont all finish together i will wing it. any suggestions

Comment

That sounds like a good plan - every 60 or 90 minutes rotate the racks. You could take the time of the switch to spritz with apple juice. Welcome to fun in the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I'd rotate after 2 hours.

Comment

thanks for the advice... yes im thinking im going to have to keep close to this one to keep em in the same ballpark. i will definatley keep a spritz handy unless they look super moist from the water tray. the backwoods is different then anything else ive ever used so hoping for a blue ribbon cook for this event, im really thinkin extra.

Comment

A 20 degree difference doesn't bother me in the least. I would not rotate. Just check the racks that are a bit hotter and pull them first. 20 degrees is worth 30 minutes of finish time for St. Louis Cut spares, at the most.

Comment

• Scout789
                      Scout789 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's what I'm thinking as well. My offset smoker has a greater differential end to end and I usually don't rotate my ribs. I understand the angst of being under pressure to produce a good cook. Been there, done that. I'll be under the gun a week from today when I do a pork butt for my better half's Bunco Group.

I have a chubby G2. Top rack can run hot. If not wrapping, use just the bottom 3 racks and rotate. If using all 4 racks, definitely rotate and make sure the water pan does not run dry. I don’t spritz due to plenty of moisture in the chubby.

Comment

thanks all...
                      im feeling good on this one thanks to all your advice. I will get back to u with a wrapup. nice custom setup for your chubby jlazer ... hmmmm

Comment

• jlazar
                        jlazar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Mainly 2x4s and 1x4 boards. Stainless steel side tops are backsplash panels from Lowes. They make cleaning up very easy. 1x12 boards under them since they are only about 1mm thick - but the inexpensive way to go. Elevating everything makes it much easier to tend the coals and handle the food.

8 racks of perfect... the rotate went 90, 60, 60 and 45 minutes. all done tender but nice chew. ill rewarm and glaze or serve with just the nice bark... they are really good and moist, Thanks to Meatheads Memphis rub and the backwoods water tray. fricken delicious man.
                      I cut em in half and foiled em tight and into my 5 gallon igloo drink container with towels and a hotpack for transport to moms. thanks again for the helpful advice and Happy 4th! Click image for larger version

Name:	20180704_113515.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	526917

Comment

• jlazar
                        jlazar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Congratulations. Look great.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here