Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ole hickory VS myron Mixons H2o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ole hickory VS myron Mixons H2o

Hello from Victoria Tx, i currently using an off set smoker cooking about 8 to 12 briskets a week, my pit is almost worn out and it takes a lot of stand over management. Here is were i want feed back. both the CTO and Mixons H2O are big investments. When talking to the sales person from Mixons crew he said the brisket cook in about 6 hours? that seems awfully fast to develop good texas bark. in yalls opinion which would you choose not for competition cooking but for selling best damn brisket around.

Huntington Beach welcomes you sir. All that is above my paygrade but I think PaulstheRibList uses a mixon. That's all I got.
    Welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the pit texaschef!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

And now to your question: I can't say anything about the ole hickory pits, I haven't used them. But I've cooked on several Myron Mixon smokers, and they're built like a tank. I mean really robust. Plus I like their features, like the large water pan, slide out "grill grates" (or whatever you call them). The reason for smoking a brisket in 6 hours is largely due to the water pan.
      They're expensive as heck, but I bet they last at least one lifetime. I'm sure PaulstheRibList can chime in too, as he uses one on a regular basis.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana!

as already stated... Paul is our resident expert on that Cooker!

Comment

Nice intro. Ya drop a bomb on us right at the get go. Well, I am not the person to hep ya out. Welcome, eat good, have fun & yer answer will come along in due time.
            Last edited by FireMan; June 22, 2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

texaschef Great to have you here in the Pit!

The StickburnerClub is so great, and you are doing great work on your end smoking those wood-fired briskets!

What type of pit are you using now?

The Mixon H20 has a gas-assist option, which makes it similar to the Ole Hickory in that regard.

I'm opting for the most inefficient, inconvenient and, in my opinion, coolest & best tasting barbecue method: Straight Stickburners!

I really like my Mixon 72XC. As Henrik said, they are built like tanks. We've figured out the little things here and there, and we are cooking great barbecue on them.

The firebox is really big, and that give you a ton of flexibility. Run the fire you want, or run two small fires, or run a regular fire in the middle, and pre-warm your wood on the end. I love pre-warming the wood! It's a pleasure to run the fire on this cooker. But you still have to tend the fire. With big logs, pre-warmed, you can set it up to go an hour without tending the fire.

As for a 6 hour brisket, that's a function of cooking them in a pan more than the type of cooker. The water pan works great as a heat diverter, and it does add some moisture to the unit, which I like. But you have to be careful building a huge fire to cook at 325+. The places where you don't run a fire get grease build up, and running a hotter fire than normal can produce bad juju if you haven't cleaned all the nooks and cranny's on the water pan and air baffles.

Have you cooked on an Ole Hickory before?

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for all the great info, Paul. Your experiences are priceless in The Pit! #Getontheriblist

• texaschef
                texaschef commented
                Editing a comment
                no i have not cooked on the old hickory

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here