Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backwoods Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwoods Stand

I love my Backwoods Chubby G2. But I didn't love the height of the smoker when using it, even mounted on castors. You were basically kneeling to load charcoal and the food grates were also very low during use. Backwoods does not advise mounting on legs higher than 17 inches due to weight balance concerns.

So I took some unused deck boards I had laying around and bought some heavy duty casters, SS backsplash sheets, and 2x4s. I think I will like this setup much better. The two side areas are 34" high and 24X30. There is also a 24x30 backsplash sheet under the smoker to help keep that area cleaner. Two inch spacing between the smoker and side boards along with the 1 inch insulation of the Chubby should eliminate and concerns of heat from the smoker. Plenty of room to store charcoal and kettle accessories.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shelf1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.46 MB ID:	472618
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Shelf3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.23 MB ID:	472619Click image for larger version  Name:	Shelf2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.96 MB ID:	472620

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shelf4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.63 MB ID:	472621
    Last edited by jlazar; January 10, 2020, 04:41 PM.

Very Cool. Looks great.

Comment

Very nice. And not just storage, those sideboards are going to make things easier.

Comment

Great setup!

Comment

Very nicely done!

Comment

Daaaaaaaaaaaaagggg!!!

Now that is cooler than the other side of the pillow.

When I was looking at Backwoods I felt like their casters were way overpriced.

​​​

​​​
            ​​​​​

Comment

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              About 4x too much. I got 4 500lb locking casters at Northern Tool for what they charge for one caster.

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              jlazar I know right, was floored when I saw the prices.

That does it...I'm springing for the G2 Chubby!!! Would you consider moving the Chubby even higher to allow easier access to the vents (or the BBQ Guru)?

Comment

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              The vents sit right below the 2x4s on each side. Made sure there was access to the vent controls. So far, I have not bought a fan although I used a guru with the WSM. G2 Chubby is extremely easy to dial in and maintain temps. If I go with a controller, I will get a Guru fan and adaptor and the control cable to drive it from my Fireboard.

Great job!

Comment

Super-Cool Solution!
              Great cart, very innovative an clever!

Comment

• jlazar
                jlazar commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you.

Great lookin set up. Now we love it too!

Comment

jlazar
                Where did ya find th pre-cut 24"x30" SS backsplash panels, amigo?
                I can see where those would enable me to make some cool things, as well...
                (Gettin in touch with my inner jlazar ! )

Comment

jlazar That is one SWEEEEEET looking set up you got there. Can I do three thumbs up. 👍👍👍. Oh yeah I can.

Comment

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you.

Nice job, that's a great looking rig.

Comment

Nice Work!

Comment

Really cool, and very professional!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here