Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backwoods Chubby vs Chubby 3400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwoods Chubby vs Chubby 3400

Does anyone have experience using both the Chubby and the Chubby 3400? The price-point of the latter is enticing and appears to be the same dimensions but want to make sure it doesn't have a big drop in quality being built overseas. Any advice and recommendations would be welcome!

moose,
    I've used the Chubby 3400 5 times since I received it a couple of months ago and I love it. As far as I can tell there is no drop in quality, it's easy to load, easy to use, and easy to clean. I put in the charcoal, got it fired up and to the temp. I wanted, added wood chips and then 4 hrs. later pulled out a perfect pork loin, that was juicy, had great smoke flavor, and literally could be cut with a fork. I think this unit is a gem, and I agree the price is also appetizing. Make sure you get the wheels as it is a heavy motha-
    rickbrowne

Comment

I have the Chubby G2. I considered the Chubby and 3400 but went with the G2 to get the extra depth.

According to some of the reviews I read, the main differences are the 3400 has:
      1. An all stainless steel inside on the 3400.
      2. A different heat diverter.
      3. Two hinges per door vs one hinge down the entire door.
      4. Different door latches.
      5. High heat rubber door gaskets vs high temp rope gaskets.

All other items are supposed to be the same. You can go to the Backwoods site and see most of the differences by looking at the pictures.

At $800, I would not hesitate to get a 3400 if that is where your budget is. Especially with the free delivery.

As with anything, the more you can spend, the higher quality product you are going to get. The Chubby, G2, Party, etc., are made in the US (Louisiana). The 3400 is made is China.

If you have a dealer nearby, it would be worth your time to go and look at the models and see the differences.

Don't buy the wheels from a dealer. You can get similar casters from a big box store for about $10 each.
      Last edited by jlazar; December 19, 2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Awesome, thank you both!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here