Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally Prepping the Gravity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Prepping the Gravity...

About a year ago, I posted about a gravity feed that was gifted to me. It has sat in a corner of the garage ever since. Tonight though, it changed spots with the HB.

Not that I'm even considering letting the HB go, but it is much easier to move around than this 500+ lb beast, so I decided to place the Viking in the more permanent usable spot. It also seems that unless I am using the HB as a smoker for family functions, I am reverting to something smaller anyway (typically a hibachi), just for me.

I am thinking I ought to get around to using this true smoker as my smoker.

So, I opened her up, and this is what I need to deal with....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170830_220114.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	372101

RUST!!

Most of that along the walls and top appears to be a fairly thin layer of surface rust. The heat deflector has a pretty good coat.

So how am I best to tackle this? Just load her up and open all the vents to burn her out?? Maybe some oven cleaner (I hate the thought)?? A grinder and wire brush??

I'm open to all ideas. Or is rust pretty common on these smokers, and just don't worry about it, excepting the grates.
    Last edited by TheCountofQ; August 30, 2017, 10:07 PM.

I'd clean the surface rust with a wire brush to see if any bad spots exist. If it all cleans up, a light coat of high-smoke-point oil, like peanut and fire.

If the wire brush reveals real issues, then go with more serious techniques. I'd avoid oven cleaner as it could make things worse.

Comment

I'm with kmhfive Keep it simple with wire brushes, steel wool, and maybe some emery paper, then oil and fire.

Comment

A good non toxic rust remover is 1 part molassis and 3 parts water soak racks in over night and rinse rust will be gone.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Add a little ketchup, some onion, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar, and a few spices and you've got a nice little sauce as well.

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought you were pulling my leg, but a googleing shows you are on the up and up. Too bad it needs to soak, else I would try it on the walls. Thanks

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, th' Molasses/Water is on th' up an' up...
          Learnt it when I was restorin' an' ol Dietz kerosene lantern...
          Works pretty dang well, actually...
          Doesn't fix yer smoker walls, though...

I have used this trick on old car parts and delicate metal items will not touch paint only rust. Maybe try a rag soaked in solution and rotate cooker if possible??

Comment

If you have a compressor I would suggest a media blaster from Harbor Freight tools. You can get a gravity fed one for $30. I had to do the same with my Viking gravity fed smoker.

Comment

Could you lay the smoker on it's side and lay a rag soaked in the above solution? Maybe put some plastic wrap on top of the wet rag to prevent the rag from drying out.

Comment

A former member.....ok.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here